My solos sound bad, what should i do...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by patlozrox, Apr 28, 2012.

1. patlozrox

patlozrox

Apr 10, 2012
    Munster, Indiana
    Losiniecki LED Customs (My own company)
    Okay, so in one of the songs my band and I play, everything cuts and I have to play a bass riff as a solo part. I noticed that when I play fast notes, all of them just kinda fuse together I guess you could say. I tried tweeking the EQ but that didn't do much. It really sucks, cus it is a cool riff and a cool song. The notes just kinda sound like they are one long crash of bass strings being hit at once. When I play it on other basses it doesn't change, I think it's the amp. What should I do.

2. paparoof

paparoof

Apr 27, 2011
    Minneapolis
    fEARful koolaid drinker
    I think we're gonna have to hear a recording to really understand the problem and suggest solutions. From the description you've given the best thing I could suggest is this: don't play so many notes.

But that may or may not be good advice, depending on a whole lotta unknowns.

3. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Norway
    This^

4. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    This confirms my recommendation in your other thread, that you should spend time with a private teacher working on your right-and-left-hand muting technique, so that each note is distinct and they don't "blur" into each other. :)

5. puddin tame

puddin tame

Aug 14, 2010
    it's your technique broseph

6. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Yup yup. Pluck more precisely and fret lighter. Make sure to kill each string as you move to another as well.

7. paparoof

paparoof

Apr 27, 2011
    Minneapolis
    fEARful koolaid drinker
    Muting! That's exactly what I was thinking!

You gotta stop the first note before you start the next note. Bass is not guitar. More than one note happening at the same time quickly becomes mud. Bass-filled mud is not musical.

Break it down, play it along with a metronome at half the BPM you're used to. It'll be painful as hell at first, you'll hate every second of it, but it'll point out the flaws in your technique immediately. Make sure you have a way to stop one note before you start the next one and you'll be on your way.

Once you can do that, bring the BPMs up a little bit at a time and you'll get to where you want to be. When I say a little bit at a time, I mean spend one night doing nothing but finding the speed (BPM) that you can play it cleanly (proper muting). The next day just play it at that same speed, over and over and over until the muting becomes as natural as the notes and you can do it without looking at your hands (close your eyes or turn off the lights in the room). The next day, bump it up 10 BPM and play it over and over until it's clean and perfect. The next day, another 10 BPM and so on and so forth.

This probably sounds like a bunch of blah, blah, blah and hassle that you'd rather not bother with, but seriously think about it for just a second. If the problem is a lack of good muting, this will fix the problem in about a week. Compare a week to your life long, bass playing career. It's a blink of the eye.

And it won't just fix this particular solo, it'll fix all kinds of problems that you've never even noticed. Your band will notice the difference - that's fer damned sure.

It'll make your amp sound better too.

:hyper:

8. if what you're playing sounds good while every one else is playing then the culprit is your technique most likely. Suggestion: slow down and play your part until it's crystal clear, then slowly bring the tempo up until you sound as good as you should playing slow. You should nail whatever it is you're doing at any (sane) tempo.

9. +1, excellent advice clearly stated :cool:

10. learn how to solo?

11. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Are you using any kind of compression or fuzz in your signal chain when you play this solo? I'm not saying it isn't technique, but backing off the compression or fuzz might help clear things up as well. I was using fuzz on a solo I was playing and my technique was perfectly fine, but with the fuzz on I had the same problem you are having now. I ended up playing the solo without fuzz and it got applause, but the fuzz pedal just compressed my signal too much for how fast I was playing.

Work on the technique first, even if you're using a comp or fuzz as well. There's a lot of good advice to be had by the people that have already posted before me.

12. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    when in doubt remember this: a bass solo without bass is a drum solo

13. Practice

14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Have you checked the suck knob on the amp?

15. Moloch666

Moloch666

Apr 22, 2012
    I had a similar problem, so I play the riff clean and pick it half speed instead of trem-picking. Works a lot better than hammering the riff with fuzz kicked in and not being able to hear it properly.

16. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    Wow. I had a similar problem and then I see this. Yep, bent down and took a close look. Sure enough, I found that knob and it was cranked to 11. Thanks for the assist bro.

17. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Don't solo.

Or practice.

18. patlozrox

patlozrox

Apr 10, 2012
    Munster, Indiana
    I actually use a fuzz for the whole song except the solo, and when I play on my 15 watt it sounds fine, it only sounds like crap when I have in on my big 100 watt. ??? I'll trry to scrape some nickles together and see a teacher, but I am a bit short on money, thats why I haven't gone already

19. patlozrox

patlozrox

Apr 10, 2012
    Munster, Indiana
    I actually found out what it was...
    I cracked open the cab and found out that my speaker was blown, either I had the volume up too high, or the 3 days I spent using an instrument cable (before i knew the differance like a noobin' ass noob) fried it.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021