Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My "somewhat new" '57 p-bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StingrayKid21, Sep 2, 2005.

1. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Hey everyone, I just got around to taking a picture of my "new to me" (aka used) '57 American Reissue P-bass. I love it! I special ordered a flat black pickguard and I think it looks great, although it looked awesome with the gold guard as well.
    I'm thinking of getting a new pickup since the "raised A" type makes it so the E and A strings are incredibly loud and the D and G can't quite compete, even if I adjust the pickup height. I was thinking about the Norstrand NP4 cause I've read some good things here. Anyone know where I can get get a price and possibly order one?
    Also, I was looking at the bridge and noticed that the saddle is threaded all the way across as opposed to just having a notch for the string. Is there any reason for this? I may upgrade to a gotoh bridge at some point too. Well, I just wanted to share my new bass pictures with everyone here. Any p'up or bridge info would be great!

---Justin

Attached Files:

2. That's beautiful, looks like one of Entwistle's.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Don't replace the bridge. You will kill its resale value. The threads look a bit cheesy, but they don't hurt the strings.

4. StingrayKid21

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for the opinions! If I replace the bridge it will be with a direct replacement so if for some reason I decide to sell it I can reinstall the original bridge and pickup.

Another question, is installing a new pickup relatively simple for someone with little experience? I haven't soldered much, but I'm sure my friends could help my find my way through it.

Thanks!

5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I'd agree about the bridge; leave that stock.

You can get the Nordstrand NP4 here;

www.blueberryhillbass.com

Give Jay lewis there a call, he's a great guy, and he'll set you right up!

6. timmarks

timmarks Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland, D'Addario, Mesa
    That threaded bridge is what a real 57 would have. The "one notch" saddle appeared in 1969. I tend to want to keep the pickups stock, but I have a buddy who put a Duncan Antiquity (sp??) in his p bass and it sounded great. You got a cool bass, congrats.

7. StingrayKid21

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for the info guys!

The reason I want to change the pup is because it's so uneven as far as volume between the E/A and D/G strings because of the raised A poles. I'll probably leave the bridge the same, but for some reason I get a buzz from the bridge sometimes when I play fairly hard or play with a pick, I didn't know if that was due to the type of bridge or not though.

Thanks!

Justin

8. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Oh!! Can I show ya mine?!?!

[​IMG]

I put the Nordstrand pickup in mine and don't regret it one bit. My E string was much weaker than the other strings and this pu really helped. I really like this pu. I really love this bass. Yours look like a beauty as well. Congrats.

9. gojirin

gojirin

Oct 11, 2004
    Denver,CO
    Oh man, I just drooled all over my keyboard...

Keep the bridge and get a new pup. The Antiquity's are good, but for a '57 P you might cinsider a Fralin. Don't know the Nordstrand, but keep hearing good things and am becoming curious.

See if you can get someone to see if the current pup is wired correctly. One tech I know swears that most Fender guitars are wired incorrectly. Take that with a grain of salt, but it's cheaper than a new one.

Nice bass!

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Awesome! I briefly owned a trans white '57 RI. It was the last four-string I bought before switching to five. I miss that bass a lot... it was very lightweight, too... but it would bother me to have it sitting in a case unplayed.

Thanks for the sexy P-bass pics, guys!

11. Jazzanova

Jazzanova

Oct 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Add me to the ri'57 club. Mine looks just like yours but is a JV squier. Looks and sound amazing.

12. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Congrats!

I had an early 80's '57 re-issue; it was one of the best P-basses I've owned.

13. ERMAL

ERMAL

Jun 20, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Cool bass - I've got a '57 RI myself, black, gold PG - I had a similar problem w/the pickup also. My solution was to spin the coils so the raised pole pieces were under the G string instead of the A - evened out the sound quite nicely. I also added the Badass II direct replacement bridge - both "mods" are reversible if need be. Good luck.

14. That P Bass Reissue looks great! :smug:

15. StingrayKid21

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    ERMAL,

I might have to try that pickup idea, although I am getting awfully curious about the NP4 since I hear so much about it. How do you like the badass II bridge? I was looking into getting one but was told it wouldn't fit under the chrome cover, which I would like to leave on.

Thanks!
    Justin

16. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    Let's see...
    Different pickguard;
    different pickup;
    different bridge.

It's not a 57 RI anymore!! If you're gonna do all this stuff to this bass, why did you get a 57 RI?

17. StingrayKid21

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Well, I hadn't originally planned on replacing the pickup and bridge, and I still might not. I like the black pickguard on a white bass so I decided to change that. I got the '57 RI because they have a reputation for good construction and playablity and the few that I have played have lived up to that. I also like the transparent white finish and the nitro finish on the neck as well as the vintage accessories such as the chrome covers and thumbrest. I honestly don't see what the big deal is with putting in a different pup and maybe changing out the bridge... I'm not doing anything that can't easily be undone. Plus it's nice to make mods that make the bass feel more "my own." If you don't like what I'm doing to my bass then that's fine, but it doesn't matter to me. Thanks to everyone for their ideas and info!

--Justin

18. ERMAL

ERMAL

Jun 20, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Stingray -

Unfortunately, the Badass II will not fit under the bridge cover.
    I like the bridge, it seems to give a slightly (and I mean slighty) more "focused" sound. I also have one on my 62 J-Bass RI which I change back and forth every few months w/the original bridge just for the true "vintage vibe".

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You say the pickup and bridge mods are easily changed back, and that's true for the pickup but not the bridge. Unless you get a bridge the exact same size, you're going to have uneven fading and possibly cracks under the new bridge, so when you go to sell it (IF you do), it's going to be very noticeable that you had a different bridge on it.

20. StingrayKid21

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    ERMAL and Jimmy,

Thanks for the info. I hadn't thought about the uneven fading. If I were to get a different bridge it would probably be the gotoh direct replacement which I believe is the same size as the original. That being said, I don't think I am going to switch out bridges, at least at this time. I think the buzzing noise I am getting from the bridge is probably just echoing off the inside of the bridge cover, and that's only when I play pretty hard. I'm still not quite sure why the vintage bridges had threaded saddles. Anyone know the reasoning? Are there any benefits to it?

Thanks again!
    --Justin