My son...loves The Who...yessssss!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Machaut, Sep 30, 2003.

1. He's 13.

It started with "Who Are You" as CSI's theme song. And right now there is a commercial that uses "Happy Jack". Meanwhile, somewhere along the way he heard "My Generation."

So we bought him a compliation disc of The Who's hits and he loves it.

You know, there is a lot of crappy music out there.

It's SO important to bring up kids right these days.:bassist:
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I think that the first album I heard as a baby was probably Tommy. (I'm 21) I've grown up with the Who, and along the way I learned to appreciate it as some of the best rock music ever made. I've seen them live three times, two of them while John Entwhistle was still with us. (Including the tour where they played the entire Quadrophenia album.)
  3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I played Quadrophenia in the car one day(side 1). The kids were HOWLING!!!! thru the surf sounds, and the "Is it me?" "Bell Boy" "Love Reign O'er Me", When "The Real Me" kicked in they got real quiet.

When it was over, my son said: "play that one again dad".:bassist:
  4. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    When I was a wee lad, The Who's perfermance in the Woodstock movie turned me on to them. I then went out and rented "The Kid's are Alright". That movie and hearing "Live at Leeds" sealed the deal.
  5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I toasted my son early.

When he was about 4 or 5, I played him Tommy on vinyl, both albums. He got the story, and the picture of the fist breaking thru inner space on the inside cover blew him away.

Then one day when he was 8 or so, while he was on the computer, I put the old big style headohones on his head and played Are You Experienced.
    The title cut really blew him aweay, especially when I told him the track was reversed. Needless to say, he made a wave file and reversed that to see what it really sounded like.

About 5 years ago, I bought him a Frank Zappa compilation with Valley Girl, Suzy Creamcheese, Yellow Snow, I'm a Rock, and sent him over the edge. He now owns over 40 FZ Cd's and is an authority on the minutiae of FZ's career. He intends to own the whole catalog, of course.

"It's SO important to bring up kids right these days." :eek:

I have created a monster. He even loves Captain Beefheart...
  6. I'm 18, and I actually just started getting into the Beatles and The Who this past year. Before then, my parents never really had me listen to their Kiss, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple I wonder why they didn't! I love the stuff!
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Every child should be issued Tommy, Zoso (or IV, if you're picky) and Houses of the Holy at birth.
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Wait, does your son love The Who, or does he love Yes? ;) Sorry, stupid joke.

I find a lot of young people like The Who. I hear tell they were a big influence on the punkers. So they were punk before punk was punk... I suppose. Kids like good catchy songs, and MTV plays... well catchy songs, I wouldn't go as far as to say good. But hell, The Ataris are making kids raWk out to a Don Henley song. A really good song/band can spread over generation after generation. That is to say if the next generation is open minded. And luckily, your kids are.
  9. Last day of school last year I had my P.E. and English finals and in English my friend Greg brought his whole CD collection of The Who in to show the teach and to play during the last few minutes of class. So as we were sitting there after our final playing Medal of Honor on XBox with our teacher, Greg put on The Who and played a song called "I'm Free" if I remember correctly to start the summer off :D great song too
  10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    get him listening to baba o`riley.
  11. I have my youngest daughter (10 yrs.) loving the Beatles and the Flecktones. The two older ones couldn't be bothered with it.
  12. olie

Dec 16, 2002
    San Jose, CA
    I love my kids! When my oldest was about 3, we were checking out Tower Records and they were playing The Clash over the store speakers. I came around the corner and my son was dancing to the music... Now he's a big fan of Yes, Dream Theater, and of course, The Who. My middle girl is so into Dream Theater it's not funny. We went to see them in concert at the Concord Pavillion and she sang along with all their tunes. She's 11 by the way. My son, who is now 13, plays bass. The first songs he wanted me to teach him were: Fire by Jimi Hendrix and Chameleon by Herbie Hancock.

Proud Dad?! Ya betcha!! It's so important to expose your kids to the good things in life early on!!

P.S. My son and I spend the day at BassQuake Saturday. Woof! What a collection of bass talent!!! What a gas!
  13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Was the request for Chameleon after he heard the jam at bassquake?
  14. olie

Dec 16, 2002
    San Jose, CA
    No, He had heard it on my MP3 player. He loved that you guys all jammed to it. He knew he could have held down the bass for you all!!:D

For you guys that missed BassQuake, the last jam of the day was Mike Dimin, Dave Pomeroy,Michael Manring, Trip Wamsley, and Bill Dickens all jamming to Chameleon. It was awesome!!

That night, my son and two other lucky bassists were treated to a master class by Mike Dimin that featured an improv by Bill Dickens (on Mike's awesome MTD!) with Mike giving a play by play as for improvisation technques. Way cool!

15. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    How cool that Matt wanted to learn that song and we chose to do it. Here is a pic of the allstar jam taken by Dave Grossman

David J. Grossman -

I thought that you guys who stuck around for the master class really got a treat - Bill Dickens is just so amazing

16. Mr. Dimin, I think this is what Dave Grossman left out!
  17. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Unfortunately, Norm Stockton and Brian Allen had to leave early and Todd Johnson was getting geared up for his evening show. That would have been very cool!