Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My son & music lessons

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Judge, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Judge

Judge

Mar 26, 2004
    Dubai
    Not sure where to post this but I need a little advice so hopefully I'm in the right place.

My son, aged 8,has recently been chosen to join a choir who go on tours, do recordings and even sang for Prince Charles last year. It's quite a big thing as they pay him and the tours they do are around the UK, Europe and the states.

As part of the deal he gets singing lessons plus they give him free music lessons. Now he's after a guitar and asking if he can have my old bass (Squier P bass).

OK here's the dilemma, certainly my old P bass is too big for him but to further his muscical education and to get the best out of the free music lessons do I buy him a short scale bass (plus I'll also need to get him a combo) or do I opt for an acoustic guitar. Which would be best for him from a purely musical perspective? I know the nature of this site is such that most of us would probably opt for bass, but would that be the right decision?

2. I think the guitar is a suitable option
    Cause you can do chords and also being a benefit for not only hearing the sound but learning music theory at the same time
    Although you can play chords on bass it takes alot've finger strength and at his age it will take some time
    Just remeber though the instrument is only an output of expression
    You could still use the top four strings ( this case the lower )
    to get bass notes from the guitar
    But really the choice is up to him to decide about what he wants and you can take it from there