Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My son needs a Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dove, May 17, 2004.

1. Dove

Dove

May 17, 2004
    My 13 tr old needs an Electric Bass. I am an acousti and electric guitar player but no bass. We have various tuners, straps and amps.

Any suggestions for a good new or used Bass for him.

All the best,

Larry

2. Dublin-Bass

Dublin-Bass Guest

Sep 24, 2003
    Dublin, Ireland
    I believe that quite a few bassists on this forum have basses
    by a company called SX. I've tried them out myself and they
    seem to be quite good replicas of Fenders and are quite cheap.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    you can get the Essex (SX) basses from www.rondomusic.com

they have been discussed ALOT here on Tb, and most postiviely.

It would also help if we know where you are in the world.

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Other good starter basses include: Peavey, Ibanez, Yamaha, and Squier. There is a lot of variety out there and the quality of starter basses is getting to be quite good compared to what they used to be. Treena is likely to come along and post more detailed information that would be helpful. If you do a search on her name you will likely find her obligatory combo pack post which gives a lot of information on starter basses.

Dan

5. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    not Squier IMO!

6. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    There are good Squiers out there. Like any other brand you have to a play a few to find the one that is right for you. If you have any actual experience to back up your opinion please share it otherwise stop perpetuating misinformation.

Dan

7. Cort Action Bass! I don't know in the US but it's really cheap here(+/-200$France)and the quality is very good.

8. Rondo Music is definitely the way to go.

I don't recommend Squier either, but some people have an "Affinity" for Squier.

Get it? "Affinity" for Squier - as in Squier Affinity.

That's my little joke. :hyper:

9. Dove

Dove

May 17, 2004
    Sorry!

Toronto , Ontario, Canada

10. Well, if your in Canada it's going to be costly to get an essex due to the huge shipping/customs charge. I think I recall a thread where someone found an Essex dealer in Canada, but it might of been some other country.

I'd suggest having your son go to the local music store and check out some basses there. I'd suggest looking at Ibanez, Fender (MIM* mainly) and Squier. Like Essex basses, Squier has it's good ones and bad ones, you just have to try them and find one that is right for the player.

So my advice - Have your son play a few and find one that feels right to him!

*MIM = Made In Mexico. MIA = Made In America and MIJ = Made In Japan. That will help you around here when people suggest things.

11. What is your budget?

Since you are a musician yourself I would assume your kids interest may be more then a passing fad so I would consider something a bit better then a starter bass. Not to say that 6 months from now you won’t find it under a pile of laundry in the corner anyway, but a good used bass will also hold its resale value better.
    Since you have amps (don’t recommend using a guitar amp for bass but that’s just me, I blew out my guitar practice amp doing that) and straps and such you could put a little more into the bass.
    Remember that bass strings are a lot more expensive, then guitar strings overall, decent set of 4 is anywhere from 25to100$, on the other hand they last forever relative to guitar strings. I have had mine for a couple of years practicing 20 or so hours a week and they are just now starting go dead.
    Also consider what type of music he is likely to be playing. You may want him to play Bluegrass (in which case why do you need a bass? haha) but he may be into Punk or Rock or something completely different.

12. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    First I'd check around at pawn shops in your area.. There're bound to be a few Ibanezes and MIM / Squire Fenders floating around. I wouldn't buy new.. This way if your son doesn't stick with it you won't be out much.

13. Until very recently I wouldn't have said this... but look at some rogues (sp?). One of my good friends has played bass for many years and has owned all sorts of gear out there (rich parents). Well, his little brother just bought a new rogue. The other day I sat down and gave it a whirl... wow. You could tell the thing was a beginner bass, but it sure was good where it really counted in the playability department. I guess I was just a bit too pretentious before playing that bass-I thought all rogues were cheap in price and quality-but this thing changed my mind. I guess you never know what you are going to get...

I would definitly agree with some of the other posts in that pawn shops and other used gear can be a great deal for your purposes. But if you are looking for something new go to musicians friend and look up the LX200B 4-String Bass (I think that was it) made by Rogue... should be pretty cheap, and is hella easy to play.

14. jello

jello

Apr 13, 2004
    Cumming, GA
    Dove - Don't get a squier unless your son trys one out and likes it. In my very first time picking up some basses I could tell the squier (between a squier, a peavey, a 'real' fender, and something else) was a dog. I've heard good things about rondo/sx here and in other forums around. In fact if rondo would have had this in stock I might not have spent the extra money on the Washburn I ended up getting.

15. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    I didn't say that there aren't good Squiers out there... I just thought that if you don't really know that much about basses it's a bit risky to go for a Squier, because you really can't know yet if it's any good, and all the Squiers that I've played really were awful. I'm not trying to give misinformation! :mad:

16. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    All you needed to do was say that in the first place. ;)

Dan

17. bill spangler

bill spangler

Mar 4, 2001
    Albany GA
    Do you have to pay customs fees on an item that buy from a private party? If not there is an SX jazz for sell in the classified section. He's asking $100 US, but that's too much by a little bit. You might be able to offer $80-$85. I have an SX p-bass fretless that I modified with piezos. It is a very nice instrument for the money.

18. I have owned 2 Essex basses in the past. They are worth the money, but shipping might make it not worth it and it would be better to then look at shops for used (or new) basses like Ibanez, Squier, Fender.