My son the 9 year aspiring bassist

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Gintaras, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I have a 9 year son that I got an inexpensive but what seems to be a nice bass on Ebay for Christmas. I am going to take it to my setup guy next week and was thinking about getting him extra light strings like GHS Extra Light Bass boomers 30-90. I notice that his fingers are fighting the cheap fatter strings that came with the bass. The main question is will there be a problem in his bass playing development to work with the light strings? I want him to be encouraged to play and he seems to enjoy it and pick it up quite quickly. (he also plays trumpet in the school band)
  2. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    I think the lighter strings is a very good idea. What you're talkin gabout developing is his finger strength and dexterity, so why not choose strings that develop his muscles a bit at a time. You wuoldn't send him into a gym and expect him to start pressing heavy weights; you'd start light and work up. He can switch them out when he's ready.
  3. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    What a cool dad...

They would do... lighter strings will definately help.

No. Absolutely not.

There are advantages and disadvantages to light strings. They're easier to fret, which is most certainly an advantage. They're easier to bend which could be either an advantage or a disadvantage... depends on playing style. To a nine-year old, .030s are probably going to feel like .045s or heavier to an adult anyway.

Heavier strings are associated with better tone... but at nine-years old it's not going to be an issue. The compromise in tone from string gauge is going to insignificant compared to the compromise he'd have through not being able to play the note in the first place.

As long as he has a decent teacher, he's not going to get into any bad habits because of the strings.

Bump up the gauge in a year or two... it's an easy adjustment to make.