Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Songs

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bassline1414, Apr 7, 2001.

1. Well, I thought I'd take a cue from gbrooks and ask people to criticise (I don't know if I spelled that right :D) and rip apart a few of my songs. As a musician, I think it would help if I had some feedback from fellow musicians, and especially bass players. I want you all to know that I play bass and guitars on these songs (poorly) and the drums are from Acid 2.0. All guitars and basses were recorded on to my computer via a $5 mic put up to the speaker of my Crate BX-15 practice bass amp, so don't gimme any crap about my tone! ;)
    Okay, here's the site: www.mp3.com/thebassline
    Tell me what you think! Thanks!

2. Awww cmon! I'm not THAT bad am I? :D

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Killer songs, man!

The Pawn sounds really good as an instrumental, but the other two songs just scream out to have vocals over them. (Not that their bad, but they're so good I can hear a vocal melody in my mind... :) ) Is that a tape reverse effect on Want is Need? Oh yeah, and when the drums and bass come in on Envious, it's a good couterpoint to the established tempo of the guitar.

The only thing that would come to mind is something you brought up yourself... I think the drums are really good, but their high sound quality kind of contrasts with the other instruments. The drum loops are very nice, by the way. I'm not familiar with Acid, are those loops pre-made or did you program them? I've been using Anvil studio a lot lately, which is really easy to use and program, but I'm confined to the crappy General MIDI drum sounds. (Until I get that upgrade, anyway ;) )

If the songs stay instrumental, you may want to vary them a little bit, but otherwise, damn good job!

4. so far envios is groovin man, love it, i'll listen to the others later.!! peace!

5. Thanks guys!
    Yes, the drums are pre-recorded which has it's ups and downs. They sound very professional, but they can't react to the song like a real drummer can. And yes, the guitar solo in "Want is Need" (dumbass title, I know! :)) is reversed. I went to Programs: Accessories: Entertainment: Sound recorder recorded a little guitar solo and it has a reverse option. Then I copied it onto my song in Acid and that's how it worked out.