My son's 1st bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oldrocker, Mar 4, 2005.

1. oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    My 14 year old son has started banging out the bottom end using my Basses. He is lost on my G&L but feels comfortable on my old short scale Gibson. I think the Gibson may be a little fragile so am looking for a 1st cheap ($300 or Less) bass for him.

We will be viting our local retailers to playy a few. I am considering Ibanez GRS200 Yamaha RXB170

Should I also consider the Epiphone EB-0, very similar in size to my old Gibson.

Should a Squire be on our list, should I look for a used MIM Jazz bass?

Any other suggestions.

2. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I played a Peavey Grind 4 string not too long ago and was pretty impressed by it. Neck-through construction and seemed well built. Musician's Friend sells'em new for $370 but the one I saw was used for about $200. Might be what you're looking for.
  3. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    The GSR200 is a great starter bass IMO. (Im just de-fretting mine now) I think they are lighter and easier to manuver than the Yamaha personally. They do have a thinner neck. From others posts, I don't think you could go wrong with either one really, so have him try both and see what feels best to him.
  4. lopsy_lu

Feb 15, 2005
    Scotland, UK.
    Yeh I started off on ( and still play ) my Ibanez GSR200, its a really good bass to start off on, particularly the very thin neck and reasonable price tag. Yamahas are also pretty good
  5. BasStefan

BasStefan Guest

i started on a Peavey Millineum BXP bass. its really sturdy and sounds pretty goof, for a beginners bass
  6. kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    i was 14 when i started, im 15 now, i had a ibanez tr50, big clunky neck, but i learned, then i got a fender jazz,

i would highly reccomend a fender jazz for your son, its perfect for small hands, and its very versatile, i got mine used for 280, theyre 439 new, soo easy to play, tough, they stay in tune, all that good stuff

two words

7. M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    My 13-year-old son has used a MIM P-bass for the last year. (I bought it at a Pawn shop for $125.) I've given him several other basses (Fender Jazz, Warwick, Schecter) to try, but he prefers the P-bass.

8. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
  9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Jazz basses are VERY versitile..You might consider starting him off on a 5 string if you think he wants to play seriously. There will be alot of posts disputing this opinion, but whether people like it or not, 5 string is becoming the standard, in many styles of music it IS the standard.
  10. My suggestion is play one of each of these basses and pick the one that feels the best to him an sounds good too.

11. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I agree with this.

Cheap, yet surprisingly good tone. Most of all, thin necks, light bodies, and could be replaced if mis-used.
  12. Peccavi

Dec 24, 2003
    Jonas, pa
    i suggest the peavey millenium ac it has the same preamp as the cirrus and it is $300. plus it has a shorter scale neck. i think 21 frets. plus it sound amazing and well worth it's price. if that's not to good check out an sx before you go with a squire.
  13. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Here's my $.02 for what it is worth. I used to manage the bass department at Musician's Friend (later became GC), so I have some good experience selling "first" basses. I always liked selling the lower cost Ibanez models. For the money, I thought they were very well built, easy to play with thin necks and lightweight bodies, and even nice in looks. I thought they were of better quality than Squire's for sure. I would disagree about the 5 string. It is going to be a wide neck for a 14 year old starting out. Let him learn the 4 string first. After all, it is good enough for many of the greats!!! He can always get a 5 string later as he progresses and sticks with it. Finally, I think that the cheaper Ibanez basses will keep a better value than some others if he trades up later on. A Rogue (MF catalog), OLP, Squire, etc. won't have much resale value at all. A store will always know they can resell that Ibanez if it is in good shape. Finally, keep it simple. Active electronics, multiple pickups, extra strings, etc. are just not really important on that first bass. Comfort and playability can be the difference in him sticking with it!
  14. OHooo man......Jeeeze!