Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My son's new bass (at 3 years old!!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacochops, Nov 19, 2003.

1. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    I spoke with Adrian at Accessbass today...my 3 year old absolutely goes nuts when I pull out my Nordstrand to practice, saying, "Daddy, it's ETHANS turn!!!!" He loves just sitting on the couch, propping my bass onto his lap, and doing his best Manring 2-handed tapping/slapping impersonation! So, in all good concience, I figured I'd better get him his OWN for Christmas(and keep his mitts of mine!!);) I'm getting him a MTD Kingston...a bass that is finished in poly, no batteries, in red (his favorite color), and if Dad gets the itch to play it, I won't be playing a Mexi-Jazz! We all win!! (Now if I can only get Mom to buy "him" a Walter Woods...:rolleyes: )
    :D
    I should also be taking delivery of my new Nordstrand SC4 with koa top and birdseye board and back around then, so it should be a VERY Merry Christmas!! My wife's getting Lasik, as well as a shopping spree at South Coast Plaza in So. Cal., so she won't mind a little bass-indulgence!

2. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I wish my dad would've bought me a Kingston when I was three. Hell, I'd be pretty pumped to get one at eighteen.

My dad still rules though.

3. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I did the same thing for my son 3 yrs ago. It's one of those mini p-bass kits out of the Stewart Mac catalog. Painted it purple (his fav color) and even got a repro Fender sticker to put on the headstock. It came out great.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Sounds like a great gift! Isn't the Kingston a 35" scale though? Kinda big for a lil'un. Kinda big for me even :D

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Your son is lucky :p

6. The five string is 35" scale, but the four is 34". That does bring up a good subject, though. Should you at least consider a short scale instrument? Maybe a danelectro longhorn, or one of those burns Bison basses?

7. how bout a short scale essex p bass

8. If you're considering a squier mustang(bronco?), you should also consider a large handful of wet diarrhea.

9. Well, he is young. He can't control it yet!

10. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    After reading this thread, I am now sure my daughter, who is 12 years old and does not play bass yet, absolutely needs a Roscoe SKB3007 for beginning bass.

It will be a pleasure for me to teach her how to play...

(gonna ask her mother right now for the purchase...)

:D

11. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    If I may say that RIC under your name is very sexy.

12. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Thats awesome. My only concern echos the above - isnt that going to be a little big?

but then again, he certainly can grow into it and have it for a long long time :D

13. blaire

blaire

Jul 15, 2003
    The land of Rice
    Gee, I feel cheap now, I bought my daughter a cheap ukelele and she loves it. Sometimes she does still like to play my bass though.

14. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    The way I look at it, he likes to sit on the couch and just drum on the strings...if he grows into it, he'll keep it for a long time...if not, Dad inherits it!! (Those damn hidden agendas...;) :D )
    I am considering a Stew-Mac mini-P-bass kit as well so that he can at least play something a bit more to his scale...I figure the MTD can sit until he's ready (in MY gig bag!) I also told Mom we need to plan ahead and get him his first car as well...a Lotus Elise!
    Unfortunately, she didn't take the bait on that one....:bawl:

15. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    man you are a great dad... Even if you do have your own hidden agenda.... my parents haven't bought me a bass ever... or anything to do with bass... But thats ok with me.. I still love my parents

16. Same here...kinda. I had to work my a$$ off doing work to get all my equipment, but then they bought me a Peavey Mark III head for early xmas :D So I can't complain now ;)

jacochops, your son is VERY LUCKY! Let us know how he likes his new bass, regardless on which one it is!