1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My son's P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassdog, Aug 27, 2012.

1. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    So the youngster is off to freshman yr at college. He lives in a dorm and is not allowed to have his bass amp; so he left the bass and amp home. Son said I could keep the bass for him. Well the bass is one of those 60 year anniversary Precisions from '06-07. It is in great shape as I don't think it has been out of his room for 5 years. I did a minor adjustment on the neck and this thing is great. Played it on my gig saturday and it sounded just like a P should.

I have a FrankenPJ that I put together. I use it as my P but it doesn't sound like my son's bass. My neck is Allparts J neck in maple. Sort of a beefy J neck, imo. My P pup is Fender 'Orig. '62. The bridge is Gotah 201. Nice bridge but more mass than standard. Well, I replaced the bridge with an old standard bent style I had around and I think my bass sound more P like now. Am I imagining things? Strings are Fender rounds but newish. My son's are 5 years old!

Bob

2. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not sure about the point of your post but why can't he have a bass with a headphone amp? Give him the franken in case it gets messed with or stolen and play his.

3. nubs

nubs

Mar 1, 2005
    Wisconsin
    ^ this ^ wasnt really sure what the OP was leading too...

4. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    My guess is that the Franken P doesn't sound like his son's "real" P, but changing the bridge helped.

By the way bassdog, I don't think you are hearing things. Changing the bridge should make a difference and move you toward the "classic" sound.

5. bassdog

bassdog

May 23, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga
    sorry to be so vague. Yes, getting my bass to sound more like my son's is the point. BTW, he took his ukulele to school instead of the bass. Thanks for the replies. I think taking off the Gotah helped. Bob

6. Luckie

Luckie

Jan 1, 2010
    Northfield MN
    Took a ukulele instead of a bass? Didn't take an amp? Hasn't taken his bass out in 5 years?
    Sounds like you need to have a serious talk with your son.