Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My soon to be finished EUB

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by paintandsk8, Jan 17, 2005.

1. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Well first off, I hope its cool to post about EUB's even though this is in the BG forums. But anyways.....

This is my second electric upright and it is miles ahead of the first one. This is a singlecut, i was planning a bolt on but couldn't pass this piece of wood up. It is made from a piece beautiful piece of curly maple. I found this in my grandpa's attic, I asked him about it and he said i could have it. Apparently he bought it in the mid 80's to make a gun stock, but never got around to it.

The neck on this thing is very thick, just like I like em'. The curly maple part is 1" thick the whole way up, with a 5/8" rosewood board from bob gollihur on top of that. I'm pretty sure i won't need an reinforcements here, but i still wish i would have had the foresight to put them in for peace of mind.

The scale is 41.5" just like a 3/4 upright. The strings will go all the way around the end of the bass and connect to a tailpiece on the back.

The stand is made of standard drum hardware. Theres a tom mount on the back of the bass the connects to a receiver on a straight cymbal stand.

Electronics will consist of a K&K big twin (thanks again to bob) running through a fishman powerjack active buffer/pre. All of the "accesories" (bridge, tailpiece, control plate, etc.) will be made of rosewood to match the fingerboard.

The tuners are some large open gear BG tuners made by some off brand company.

The finish is still a little up in the air. I know that all the rosewood parts will be finished with teak oil. On the body I will probably use tru-oil. Do you guys think i should use any stain on the curly maple? Iwould like to make the grain a little more visible, but i like the lite natural color of the maple too. Any suggestions?

I'd love to hear some tone predictions too.

Lemme know what you guys think.

Attached Files:

2. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN

Attached Files:

3. I like it!

About that finish. Since you like the natural maple, just go Tru-Oil. The TO has a warm enough color that it will nicely darken (age?, antique?) that maple. If you thin out the TO with mineral spirits for your early coats, it will soak in a little better and that just brings out more and more of the figure.

4. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Beautiful. What are you using for piezo?

5. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Thanks Hambone, I think I'll try that thing with the mineral spirits on a leftover peice of maple and see what I think. What kind of ratio of spirits to oil do you suggest?

As far as the piezo's, K&K big twin.

6. IIRC the bottle mentions as high a ratio as 1:1. The bottles are out in the shop so I don't have one at hand. That sounds fine but I wouldn't go more.

7. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
  8. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Cute!
    What is the bridge made of?

9. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    everything other than the body is brazilian rosewood.

10. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    The bridge is little darker than the others since its from a different piece than all the rest.

11. The bass looks great. I am working on one right now. I was wondering why you decided on teak oil for the rosewood fingerboard? I am just looking around for a finish to use on the same fingerboard... Did you come across any other finishes? Could you also use tru-oil or tung oil? (since I already have that)

12. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    The reason for teak oil is that it completely soaks into the wood. It doens't leave any residue on top of the fingerboard. Thingsl like true oil will leave a thick coating on top of the wood that wood alter tone, get all over the strings, and eventually just be worn through by the strings. The teak oil soaks in and then dries, so the wood gets sealed, but you have no residue or anything to deal with.

Hope that helps.

13. I'm sold, thanks for your help. Keep an eye out for some pics on your thread in the EUB forum.

14. love the bass man. iam gonna start building my second eub soon. i wish i could make a living off of them.

i used maple for my frist bridge. u have any idea if purple heart or weng(or any othere wood would work)

15. atruedinguss

atruedinguss

Apr 23, 2005
    Jupiter
    Sweet bass. Strangely similar to an Azola Bugbass. It's cool anyway

16. Theshortlist_to

Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    hmm i prefer the headstock and body shape on this to the bug bass.

off subject here:
    is it easier to build a bolt on upright or a normal bolt-on bass guitar?

and im guessing uprights are generally more expensive. true or falso?

17. atruedinguss

atruedinguss

Apr 23, 2005
    Jupiter
    I haven't built an upright yet, but bolt-on BGs are pretty easy. And yes, uprights generally do cost more. I've seen an el cheapo upright for $800.:) That's, in my experience, as cheap as they go. I've also seen them for upwards of $25,000 :eek:, and that's the most expensive one I've ever seen.

18. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN

Well, I would actually say it's easier to build an EUB, for these reasons:

1. there always fretless
    2.they don't necessarily require a truss rod
    3. the electroinics are usually simpler

As far as price, neither one is necessarily more expensive. That eub cost me between $500 and $600.

This bass has actually been finished for some time and there is another thread about it with alot more info:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165156

19. One cost issue to keep in mind is that URB strings are way more expensive than BG strings, ~$100 vs. ~$20.

20. Theshortlist_to

Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    hmmmm well, i may go on a course and learn to build one.

i wouldnt feel safe if it didnt have a truss rod, just incase.

i like a few of the stick like travel bass ones. only nice and sleek unlike a stickbass