Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My (sort of) new (sort of) Valenti

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tbeers, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey, I just got a new (to me) bass that was assembled by Nino Valenti (thanks AJ Brown for a great transaction!).

There are a few pictures in this thread.. I haven't had a chance to take any of my own yet (left my digital camera back at school):
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207461

The bass is absolutely killer. Even unplugged, when I pluck a note I can feel a subtle vibration through the whole body. That's important to me as an upright player and something I never got in 8 years with my Fender American Deluxe P.

There are a few particular endorsements I feel that I should make.

First is to Nino Valenti though I've never communicated with him or met him. The assembly is without flaw... everything fits perfectly. I would recommend him to anyone, despite the fact that I did not deal with him directly.

Next is to Warmoth. The neck is unbelievable, the finish on the body is ridiculously cool (pictures cannot do it justice) and everything feels as solid as can be.

Finally, I have been floored by how great the Aguilar OBP-1 preamp is. I've played a lot of basses lately and this preamp is honestly the only one that makes complete sense to me. Most of the time I like to play it in passive, but when I play it in active it is so much easier for me to just have a boost only pre. I don't know why, it's just so easy... literally took me 5 seconds to dial in a tone I love. It ends up being a little bit of bass boost and that's all, very little fuss.

The only things I need to change about the bass are matters of personal taste. For me the strings that are currently on the instrument are too rough-feeling and pick up tons of finger noise... I need something tight and smooth. Any recommendations (I know there are a million choices)? And the action is a bit low for my taste, but that should be a painless adjustment.

Anyway, that's about all I have to say. Kudos to AJ Brown for a great sale, he even shipped it with the headstock wrapped in a hilarious t-shirt! Also to Valenti for perfect assembly, Warmoth for the high-qual parts, and Aguilar for a preamp that actually works for me instead of against me!

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yep, those Valenti's are sweet basses. Nino's a great guy too.

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im thinking about ordering my third soon.

Great stuff without a doubt.

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    God that is a beautiful bass! I would love to have that.

You got a great deal on a great bass, man - congrats!

5. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Yes, Theo got one heck of a deal. If I only played four-bangers, this probably would have been my main bass. At least this went for a good cause... funding my next F Bass :hyper: .

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Congrats, I just sent Nino the money for my second Valenti.

That's a sexy sexy bass

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    :crying:

:D

8. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Sorry Nino... I will be back to you just after the New Year for my "anti-Geddy Vee". Do not fret my friend. :D

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You know I can't play fretless!!! ;)