Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my sound goes dead when I play sometimes...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Trist6075, May 10, 2004.

1. Trist6075

Trist6075 Guest

Mar 6, 2001
    I'm having this problem lately where when I'm playing through my amp, it seems that my sound goes from being off and on when I play in certain spots. This has been conflicting with my playing a bit and I am tryin to fix it. I switched basses so I know thats not the problem. So what do u think it is,my cord or amp(gasp). So in other words my sound keeps cutting off when I play and it has something to do with where I stand and sit. ANyone know what this is about.

P.S. can anyone go to my tablature post and help me with this song I tried to figure out. It's only like two bars and I'm really trying to see if it is correct the way I figured it out. It sounds ok but I'm sure I'm off a bit. PLEASE

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Consider this. Could it be that your amp is heating up? They often have an automatic cutoff when the temperature climbs too high to protect the equipment. And IF your amp is overheating, you need to know what is causing the problem.

Another thing could be current fluctuations causing a cutoff when the power is too low, to prevent damage to your equipment. I have had to deal with both problems. Once I solved that problem just by switching to another wall outlet.

It could be your cable too. If it has a short or a broken wire inside. It could also be the jack on your bass, so that when you move around, the cable doesn't have adequate connection. In other words, the jack is loose and doesn't make constant contact. That same problem could also be at the point where your cable connects to the amp. I have had the problem of the loose jack in my Tobias. I had to replace the jack inlet because the original one had become too loose.

These are just a few ideas. You did say,you still had the problem even with a different bass, so my guess is that your cable jack is making poor contact or you have a problem with your amp. Try a different cable. If you still have trouble consider the amp, the wall outlet or fluctuating current levels.

I hope you can solve this vexing probelm. I've been through it many times in different locations. It can be very frustrating.