1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Space Page designs, etc

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blah114, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    I am doing a myspace page for a band.. I Am in the band.. anyway.. does anyone have suggestions for getting a "band layout" for the myspace setup? My "page" thus far has general info.. and reads as "male".. I cannot do anything regarding "scheduled shows.." etc.. only personal stuff...

Any advice on starting from a band layout.. I have never done a myspace page, admittedly..so don't laugh too hard. I am capable.. the graphics and background can come later.. I am more worried about getting

"sounds like.."

"scheduled shows.."

Contact.."

instead of "Male"
    "interests.."
    etc... it won't let me change choices.. this is more a question for myspace.. but I am a bassist.. and wondering if you guys/gals have done this.. is there a site from which I can get a template for bands? I have found graphics pages, etc.. but not able to change the menus.. other than removing modules from view.

2. I'm in the same boat as you.... They made it even harder for me because no one can agree on a band name... I did google the myspace layouts for the 2.0 version and a bunch of stuff came up... But I can't find one where I can completely customize and use our picture as a back ground and all that junk.

Hopefully someone can point you in the right direction lol. I should probably subscribe to this.

3. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    me too.. when I figure out this.. I will post it here.. I secured the name already.. comically.. same issue.. we could not agree on a name. EVERY club owner asks, "Ok.. let me check out your myspace page.. and I woul dlike to listen to sound samples.."

4. Check out other band's myspace sites. Copy!

It'll take some time, some fiddling, but you're going to have to come up with your own thing. However, take notes from other band's websites, and get help with some of those myspace helper sites.

All the big bands hire out advertising to do it for them, so they get the nifty rearranging of the tables, the big headlines, and the overall slick look. I'm sure that it's not too tough to do, but it might be, and you probably don't need any of that stuff right now. the point is that your myspace site's not going to look nearly as slick as Korn's, or whomever it is that you might idolize.

First, use one of those myspace enhancing sites. If you use one of those myspace enhancing websites (like Thomas, or several others), be sure to get rid of the text that acts as an advertisement.

Here's a BAD example in my book: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=401227401

They didn't get rid of the "Layout by Coolhand" stuff, and there's a few ads floating around for some website that helps you punch up your myspace site. It looks cheap. Also, they used some of the transparent backrounds in the tables. Now, it looks cluttered, and it's hard to read what's going on.

Here's a better one (albiet still very, very simple): www.myspace.com/izabellaband

It's obvious that Izabella is a working band, with lots of gigs. Their music stands out, and the site's easy to read. They really didn't do anything nifty at all to the site. They've let the content shine instead of the nifty doodads. I've seen these guys, and they rip it up every time, and sell out some good shows, the point being that even kick-@ss bands don't need a kick-@ss myspace site. The content will override the appearance.

Blah - are you sure you set up as a band? There shouldn't be a "male" or "female" anything showing up on your profile.

Quel - your problem with the backround image shouldn't be that difficult to fix. Many of those myspace helper sites have forms that will help you load that in. However, you'll need to have the image hosted somewhere, like on Photobucket.com or something like that. Try not to use myspace as a host for your background picture (or any other pictures on the front page of your myspace site) 'cause some browsers don't recognize them.

In the "Bio" section of my band's myspace site, there's a line of text within the cascading sheets section that reads background-image:url(http://www.stereoearth.com/background.jpg); (Actually, it's not located there right now, as our server just went down, but normally, it's there.)

This is the line that tosses the picture into the background. Here's how the first portion of our text in the "Bio" section reads:

<Style type="text/css">
    table, tr, td{
    background-color:transparent;
    border-style:none;
    }

table table table, table table table td{
    background-color:transparent;
    }

body{
    background-color:rgb(0,0,0);
    background-image:url(http://www.stereoearth.com/background.jpg);
    background-position:top left;
    background-repeat:repeat;
    background-attachment:scroll;
    }

I hope that helps.

5. i think you've signed up for a personal, not a band account. when you have a band account all that stuff is already there!

6. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    :meh:

I think this is the most revealing revelation in this thread.. andI thank everyone for the comments.. you are 100% correct.. when I registered long ago.. I did so as a person..

Now I wonder if there is a way I can re-register the same site as a "band..." I will inquire.. as for copying sites.. sure.. I can do that!

7. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I don't think there's anyway to change a personal profile to a band profile, you will simply need to start over. My guess is you've probably only got a few dozen friends or so anyhow, so it shouldn't be a big deal at all to just make a new site and re-request adds from everyone. In regards to making a professional looking myspace... good luck. Your best bet is to find someone who actually knows what they're doing, OR start reading. It's all html based and it's not really THAT difficult, but there's no easy work around. Even if you use a layout editor like Thomas you will still need to understand the basic terms and concepts as well as have enough understanding of html to be able to go in and remove all the tacky adverts (as mentioned above).

The upside of having to make a new myspace page for the band is that you can jack with the page until you get it right with no worry about everyone seeing your janky work-in-progress.

8. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    I believe in keeping things simple too.. I don't need, or want, an ornate myspace setup.. just straightforward.. no glittering, moving graphics, etc.. no need for that.. but I will start over.. at the time, I think, I did the personal.. it was not an option to have a band option.. but I am likely wrong.

9. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    These were my thoughts exactly.

Also, you can find a myspace layout generator (google those 3 words) that will allow you to customize your font, put in any picture you'd like in any size, and make other customizations. Thats what I did for my bands myspace - www.myspace.com/uglyXape

There may be a link to the generator I used in the upper left corner of our page.

10. Haha I think I'm going to ask my fifteen your old cousin for help... She has a pretty cool myspace page it's simple with no tacky advertisements....I'm pretty sure she already knows how to do all the stuff you guys mentioned... all in all good advice.

11. keeping it simple is the best way, it's myspace, not a web design contest. have a look at my band's myspace in my sig, and if you like what you see feel free to pm me for any of the code i used, i can't be having with generators and all that :D

12. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    I changed the page to a band page.. I cannot change the background or anything like that.. but I can edit the profile's verbiage.. I can also customize the profile from the menu... that is only verbiage as well. to customize the background, etc.. must I paste HTML into the profile? Seems very user unfriendly to me.. I have done HTML before.. so I must be missing something.. or the site is not allowing me to edit.

13. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Yes, all the layout stuff is HTML. You can drop it anywhere in the different catagories.

I've always been amazed that they don't update and add a robust interface for the html stuff.

14. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    I have figured it out.. it is easy.. but it's not obvious.. just paste the html in ANY field.. and you're done..