My speaker is hitting the grill!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassWizard55, Apr 7, 2003.

1. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    I have a recently purchased 15'' avatar. It's a great cab, but the only grip I have about it is that the grill is sort of concave, it curves inward and in very close the the speaker. At high volumes the speaker actually hits the grill. What sort of options do I have besides putting something between the grill and the wooden panel to push it away?
  2. Take the grill and flip it around, so the concave thing goes outward. That should work
  3. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Flipping the grill around sounds good, but im sure if you call Dave, he will ship you a new one. It might have been because of UPS.
  4. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    That is what I would do.
  5. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Dave will definitely do this if you call him!
  6. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Yeah, he's a good guy. I don't think I have ever heard of his sig "grill concave series" though :D
  7. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Oh, yeah... the tone of the UPS signature cab is to die for. Also, in case you are into the "The Who" stageshow... your gear is already partially destroyed, saving you time and energy.
  8. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Hey, they have relic'd basses, so why not pre-broken in cabs?:D
  9. Dave may have installed a left hand grill on a right hand cabinet. Give him a call, I'm sure he will either send you a new right hand grill or replace your right hand cabinet with a new left hand cabinet.
  10. Now that was cute, very cute.
  11. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    actually, I think that special grill is supposed to act like a compressor/limiter when the speaker hits it by keeping the peaks under control.
  12. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I heard it was designed specially for those who want to slap but can't.

Yah, so anyway, I did laugh out loud to myself when I read the posting, and had to stop in to see what it was about.

This is good, very funny!:D
  14. squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    Just curious... how easy is it to take out the grill (on Avatar's and in general)? I think it'd be cool to paint something on it, but not at the expense of the cabinet's construction. :) Thanks!
  15. buy a better priced unit. :D

flame retardent suit....check!
  16. You might find a better unit, but not likely a better priced one!:D
  17. XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    All the major name brands (avatar, eden, mesa) are making cabs like this now! It may distort a little at first but youll get used to it. It was designed for those of us with small apartments or not enough trunk space.

18. true dat
  19. Carl Brusky

Carl Brusky

Sep 21, 2000
    Bass Wiz

Take off the speaker guard, place the backside of it over your upper leg and bend it slightly so it is now bowed out.

Replace the speaker grill being sure to use the grill spacers used by Avatar.

voila - all fixed.