Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my speakers are jiggling and i don't see why?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, May 6, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I've been playing my friend's Peavey Firebass head (450 watts at 4 ohms) into my new Genz Benz 610T-XB2. I also have been using my Boss EQ pedal. I usually like extreme settings, such as bass up all the way, treble up 3/4 of the way, scooped mids. I noticed the speaker cones were booming. So I turned the EQ pedal down a bit, and its still doing it a bit. So I turned the bass down to 3/4, treble to 1/2. The gain is on 2, and volume on 4. So does it sound like there is something defective with my cab? Because 450 watts, into a 900 watt cab, pushing the speakers, and the head is not even clipping.

2. Do you hear any distortion or break up?

If not than I think that is what the speakers are supposed to do. When I tap my low B with lots of bass EQ, I can make the speakers jump back and forth. I'm not sure how good it is for them so I wouldn't suggest it.

My .02.

3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    No distortion of breakup. There is the normal hiss from the tweeter though, since I turn it up all the way.

I turned down the bright switch it helped a bit. On the top left speaker, it looks like one area of the speaker is moving to the exact wavelength, faster than the rest of the speakers. My friend says it sounds like its creased.

Am I screwed? I just bought this thing Saturday after a 7 hour drive to meet the guy, for $550. He said it was never gigged or push, and just set in his house for awhile.

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    OK. I took the grille off and thumped alittle and I guess maybe it was just the light, but it didn't seem to jump as much as I had seen before. So nix that last part. I guess I was just worrying.

~Patrick

5. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    You might want to ask him if he noticed what you are experiencing, or if he knows what the problem might be.

6. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI

Extreme for the speakers as well.

7. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm an idiot. I was just now playing and guess what I realized I had turned off....the DDT Compressor. :rolleyes:

WHat would you say is a comfortable bass setting to where I can still comfortably keep it turned up?

8. I turn my master volume and gain a little past half way up on my Firebass. I turn the bass knob three forths up and then turn the contour knob all the way up and adjust the others to taste thereby giving me better speaker relief. I have blown a speaker in my 410 4 ohm cabinet before I came to my senses. Another solution would be to replace your speakers to a higher rated speaker and crank it. (if you got the bucks)

9. So you're trying to get sub bass out of a 610? Bad idea to start with, it's not a subwoofer. Most 10" equipped cabs don't do much below 50 Hz. You're probably over-excursing the speakers. Try to boost the 100-150 Hz range instead of the sub range; you'll cut through better in a band, as an additional advantage. Or go get an 18" that'll handle 30 Hz.

BTW, if you're doing largish gigs, not a single PA will pick up those lows.

10. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Actually, my cab handles 25 hz to 18khz.

11. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    So, if I'm not mistaken.. you're using a new bass, new amp, and new cab. Try setting everything FLAT and THEN tweaking it to taste. Why would the EQ settings for your previous setup sound the same with a completely different bass through a completely different rig?

12. That would be the world's first ;)

Anyone care to calculate the excursion of 6 10s at 131dB, 25Hz?

13. The Genz Benz Specs say 35 hz - 16 khz for that cab...which is pretty damn good. Must be the porting.

14. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    They claim those are the -3dB points, too. Notice the efficiency? 105dB? On the low side for a 6x10. That suggests they are using woofers with extended low end at the expense of loudness. Coupled with a big cab and those specs are probably legitimate. I've never tried any Genz-Benz cabs but they do seem to make some interesting stuff...

15. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    GB 610T-XB2
    The ultimate statement in performance and value that can rule on any stage.
    This model features all six drivers coupled in one chamber and with its XB porting
    has low frequency extension usable to 25 Hz. Other response characteristics are
    its quick and articulate mids and crisp highs. Rated Power: 900 watts RMS.
    Components: Six GXB 1040 woofers, one GBE 4410 4” tweeter and one GBE 3560
    4K Hz 18db crossover. Available in 4 ohms.

16. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    "Usable" usually refers to the -10dB point. I'd buy that (figuratively, not literally...)

17. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Well, I'm no speaker expert. I'm just now learning about hertz. decibals will be down the road.