Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My speakers are lighting up...that's bad right?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bryan bailey, May 21, 2004.

1. After playing with my amp cranked, I noticed that the speakers where lighting up, as if a lightbulb was inside the cab and it was turning on when I dug in or popped hard.

This is a bad thing right? :eyebrow:

Since it would get as loud as I need it to, you know whithout illuminating, would it be wise to continue running this cab at such extremes?

(me thinks I need another cab...) :help:

2. What kind of cab is it? Many cabs with horns have horn protection fuses that will light up when driven hard and will blow if overdriven to protect the horn. Depending on where you're seeing this light, I wager that's what you're witnessing. As long as your cabs are adequately rated powerwise and you're not pushing your amp beyond it's limits, you should be fine. Speakers as a rule won't light up themselves if overdriven, they'll just sound real bad for a while then stop making any noise at all.

3. Yea, that's gotta be it. I would've been willing to bet you were using Eden cabs, as that's the only brand I know offhand that uses lights for that purpose, but it wouldn't be surprising if others picked up on it...seems like a smart idea to me! If it gets particularly bright I might back off to avoid blowing it and having to replace the light, but it's a cheap fix. I wouldn't worry about it too much; the light is doing its job and protecting the stuff that's more pricey to replace.

Is this the Ampeg BSE 410HLF that's lighting up? Someone with specific knowledge of the cab should be able to confirm.

4. Yes, it is that.

And I must say, I hate this cab. :mad:

I need a new better sounding/lighter weight/cheaper/more watt handlage cab.

5. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Ampeg's also use "the bulb".
    If you ever need to replace one, they're an oddball voltage that can be found at aircraft supply shops.

6. I saw that happen to our PA system once. It freaked me out...I thought we were going to start a fire.

7. I have one of these cabs too, and I love it. It is a bit heavy, but that's quite alright with me. Why do you not like it? What kind of head is going through it? :confused:

Mine has a SVT-350 head.

8. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    What you are seeing is the tweet bulb lighting up at extreme voltage peeks. The bulb bleeds of excess voltage so the tweets are not damaged at high volumes. I use GK stuff and they have this feature also. I find turning down the high range crossover in the back of the cab helps a whole lot, also back off the treble knob a taste and it will stop.

9. I'm using a QSC and an SVP for a head. And I just can't get the right amount of snap in my tone. With the tweeter off it's too muddy, with it on full it's too click, and in the middle, at high volumes the tweeter farts horridly after a while of playing. That and it has the same click factor.

It's heavy too.

10. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Alot of brands have the bulb. Both my GK and Genz Benz cabs have them.

I've seen the light....and it was loud :hyper:

11. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The SVP-pro has a bright switch that adds this clikety-clank sound to your tone, at almost all volumes: I was playing my Corvette in church with 7 mo. old smoothed-down TI strings, p-up balanced 90% to neck, bass a bit up, mid at noon, and a bit of treeble cut, through a 115 with no tweeters, and even when playing very softly and gently, it would make it sound clankity-clank! :eek:

So try turning the Bright switch off and the Ultra-hi on instead... that should work with the tone. And also, turning down a bit, too ;)
    Or get another cab and plug both of them in

12. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Ever consider upgrading to the SVT-410HLF?

13. I had this once when I used a Hartke 200w with a Ampeg svt410hlf cab.(500w)

The problem was when I hitted a high tone, the cab lighted up.
    (it looked radical on stage though)

It seemed that the hartke amp was not capable to produce enough watts to drive the ampeg properly

The problem was gone when I combined it with a EBS Td600

14. I would like to. But I don't have the back muscles for that cab.

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Acme cabs are also capable of putting on a light show :bag:

16. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    my eden cab did this for a while. I blew about 5 protection bulbs. then I adjusted the eq and told the drummer to quit hitting the drums so damned hard.

17. Most drummers don't understand the concept of playing quieter.

18. The first time this happened to my Genz Benz I freaked out. A tech from GB told me to turn up the horn level on the cab ( I still keep it relayively low ) and turn down the treble from your bass and/or amp. If you get the balance right you'll still have your clean highs, but won't be sending such a harsh signal to your tweeter. I may still light up a little bit from time to time but I haven't noticed for a long time.

19. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    get into guitar center and the tweeter isn't working. They wanted $150 + shipping (the cab was outta warrantee) to send it back to Minnesota or wherever Eden was and it would take a month to get it back.

I read somewhere that many cabs (you guys have mentioned a ton of 'em) have automotive headlight bulbs for a fuse on the tweeter. I took the cabinet next door to GC to an automotive parts store, borrowed a phillips screwdriver took off the jackplate, and indeed, there was a burnt out headlight bulb, which I bought a replacement for under $5.00.

Took it back to GC and bought something else that's now history too!!! It's showing that you're overdriving the tweeter. That could be because of the head being underpowered or the high end being too much for the tweeter.

I too have no affinity towards ampeg cabinets having had a 1510, 210, 410 and 2 810's in my stupid shlepping days 30 years ago.

Good luck

20. Now that I think of it. When my cab was illuminating. I am nearly 99.9% sure the tweeter was in the off position. This confuses me a bit, as to if the tweeter was off, why was stuff lighting up inside my cab?

Also after spending much time with it, I have found the 3 tweeter settins on my cab do not satisfy me. The full on position is too clicky, half on, not enough snap. Off mud.

So I think for my next cab, I will get one of the dial tweeter controls. So I can control what I want. Do avatar's have the dial tweeter control?

I think I'm going to buy an avatar 2x12 and 4x10.

Mmm stack. :hyper: