Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my Spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Jul 13, 2001.

1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey guys i just found out that my specotr american bolt on 5 string that i orderd 7 weeks ago will not be done for maybe another 8 weeks! You know i love stu to death he is very nice and helpfull but when i bought the bass they said around 5 to 6 weeks! Now i will have to go rent a 5 string to jamm with till them! Probably cost me around 400 to do that! Iam kinda pissed! But at this point i dont want to say iam pissed to stu or anyone at spector because they might not do as good as work if they think its going to a butthole! What do you think i should do?

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Wait. You won't be disappointed when you get it.

Stuart originally told me that this bass would be ready in 3-4 months. It was worth the wait. :)

3. if your told one thing, say "it should take 3-4 months, then they turn round and say it'll be a lot longer, what does that say for Spector?

it doesn't sound like isolated situation, if i was paying for a custom bass and i was told i had to wait longer i really wouldn't be happy

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I think you should just sit back and be patient. All the manufacturers are getting ready for the NAMM show next week, so they have to devote all their efforts to that. Then, when they get back, they'll all have to play catch up.

What probably slowed Stu down in the first place was being inundated with phone calls, rather than letting him work. That's why he doesn't usually give out his phone number anymore. That's why Rob Elrick stopped giving people tours of his factory in Chicag (which really sucks for me). That's why you need to be patient and just understand that he's not in business to screw people over. He's got a great reputation with regards to customer service, so if he's running slow on something, it's probably nothing he can fix.

5. Eric, patience is a virtue and when it comes to a custom built spector it's very worth the wait, but give Stu a call, he's very understanding. The reason it's taking so long is the simple fact that he wants it to be perfect for you. Stu would never send anything out without making sure it's exactly what you want. Your talking Spector here. You also have to remember that there are other people as well getting custom basses built and sometimes there are good reasons for a delay. Give them a call it can't hurt and the quality of your bass would never suffer because they thought you were bugging them. Stu has much to high standards for those kind of childish things.

Keep us posted in the meantime. Who knows you may get a surprise and find out that you'll be getting your bass sooner.

If you want come stop by the Yahoo Spector Bass Club , Stu is a member and answer's questions from the club members. Here's the link.

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/spectorbassclub

Happy slapping
    Nancy

6. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Ohhh man i didnt want anyone to think i would call and grip him out! I want him to take his time and work it out just right! Iam not mad at him at all because if italked to him in the first place iam sure he would have told me it would take longer! Iam pissed at the saleman at the store were i orderd it from! They were the ones that said it would only take a few weeks! I feel they did it just to sell it to me for sure! My point is i would have bought it direct from stu if i new this! But i talked to stu after i bought it and he told me it would take a long time and i told him i was cool with that! And i will be at the spector page for sure!

7. Oh Eric, I didn't think you would call and ream him out, quite the opposite. I know Stu wouldn't mind talking to you about your custom. In fact I just got off the phone with the founder o the spector bass club and he said if you want the phone number he'll pass it on to you through me.

I don't blame you for being pissed at the saleman though, I would be too, but now you'll know from experience to go directly to the source and probably save a lot of money too, lol. Cut out the middle man is what I always say. I bought my Stanley Clarke Signature directly from Alembic and saved a ton off money.

Going straight to Stu to when I order my custom spector. I can't wait!!!!

Nancy

you can email me directly if you want at nelliott17@yahoo.com

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I didn't think Stu could discount...that's interesting:confused:

Normally, most manufacturers, in any industry, may sell their products direct to the public, but rather than risk undercutting their distributors and retail outlets, the manufacturer refuses to discount. Since discounting is a way of life in the instrument business, I'd be really surprised to hear that Stu is following these practices.

My guess is that the store who sold the custom job tried to discount the amount of time. Most stores are lookin' for a buck, and it makes them look good ,at the time of the transaction, to say that they can get an instrument faster than others claim. The problem is that it's a bit short-sighted. They're not paying attention to how pissed off the customer gets when their instrument doesn't show up overnight.

A good rule of thumb is that for most custom instruments, expect it to be done in no less than 4-6 months. Sometimes it will be less, other times more, but for the most part, any luthier worth his weight in salt is going to require a lot of time.

9. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Wow, a 15 week wait would kill me. I feel all wacky waiting for a bass to arrive when it's not available right away. Unfortunately, I've been in that position a few times in the past, so I feel your pain. Don't forget to post some pics of that beauty when you finally get it. ;)

10. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Geez you guys are making me feel guilty that my new Alembic Mark King Standard only took 6 weeks to the day I placed the order. I think I just got lucky. Hit them at the right time of the year I guess.

11. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Man more than anything it just makes me mad because i was hoping to get it before my shows started becaus ei have to travil out of state so i have to rent another 5 string! Will cost me alot to do this!

12. RAM,

Stu doesn't really give discounts as a standard business practice but hey, it's nice to have friends in high places!! Eric have you talked to the salesman where you had your spector ordered maybe they can loan you a bass at a discounted rate since they buggered up in the first place? (something to think about)

Grooveguru, you certainly were lucky getting your Alembic in only 6 weeks, my buddy has been waiting for his custom BASS OF DOOM since February. Although he did just find out that it's finally done and on it's way to him, all 14.5 pounds of it, lol.

Nancy

13. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    14.5 pounds my god! Is it made of steel? Well the only problem with getting a bass from the music store is they dont have any great spectors or any other bass in there! Kinda a small town and all there stuff is really for bigginers! The only spectors they have in there are the cheap ones! I will probably wait till i get to kansas city and rent a warick

14. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    i kenw Nino was gonna be the first one to reply :D