1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Squier 5 protone fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dimson, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Dimson

Dimson

Dec 10, 2012
    Riga, Latvia
    Hi Everybody!!!!

Few month ago - got totaly new Squier 5 protone bass. 1998 excellent condition freted 5 string bass - red colour. Original soapbar pickup are really garbage. I put there Seymor Duncan from Thomann internet store. Then - take all frets out - and now - please Welcome.
    Squier Protone 5 string fretless
    sounds great!!! Condition - as new.
    as i understand - this bass is really rare. Only two pics in all internet. Sure, that fretless version of it is ONLY ONE!!!!

Attached Files:

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Don't always dig gold hardware, but that is a beautiful bass. Cool frijoles.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Cool! What did you use to fill the slots with?

I've never seen one with such shiny hardware!

4. Dimson

Dimson

Dec 10, 2012
    Riga, Latvia
    I gave it to very very good Guitar master. Nowtime bass looks like - it was originaly made fretless. As i understand he fill it with white colored wood pieces, and good polished over - so, now, if i touch the neck with fingers - it is nice and very smoothly. Today i will receive my bass from last "tuning". First fret is to high, so, to push strings on 1-3 positions is really hard. I am a percussionist - my daughter plays bass. So it is....

5. pumpkinking39

pumpkinking39

Sep 14, 2011
    Im not a p bass fan but thats a beauty!

6. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Cool! I got my Protone 5 almost a year ago for $100 in great condition just to have a cheapo "trunk bass", and it's ended up my go to Bass! Mine is VERY light as well! Sold my other 5'er (which I liked a lot) for almost 4X the price, and haven't looked back! Congrats! Just curious: while I find the pickups to be quite decent, what model SD's did you install, and why that particular brand/model?

7. Dimson

Dimson

Dec 10, 2012
    Riga, Latvia
    Seymour Duncan SSB-5 Set - passive 'soapbar' pickups for 5-string basses.
    difference between original pick-up and Seymor - like black and white.
    Size is the same. I have three controls on a bass. Originall it was - tone-volume-pan
    now is different
    vol1(first pickup)-vol2(second picup)-tone.
    So, i have instead of pan - to control panorama between both pickups - each volume separate. More usefull, as i hear.
    Now - interesting facts. My daughter has three bases. Godin Freeway 5 passive, and Yamaha TRB6 II - sure active bass. And Squier sounds very very good. Sure - it is different to compare - Yamaha TRB is high quality bass - but Squier - does not give up.)))

8. rojo412

rojo412 Walnut is fun! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I have one of these coming to me tomorrow (not fretless though).
    What do the Seymour Duncan pickups do that the originals do not do? Are they louder?

Very nice bass, would love to hear it!

9. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Anyone know if the ProTone really came with a balance control (rather than two volumes) from the factory? My used one has two volumes and a tone control (V, V, T).

Personally, I find that the original pickups sound fine (to my ear). I did add some foam beneath to raise them up...that made a big difference.

10. Dimson

Dimson

Dec 10, 2012
    Riga, Latvia
    first of all -
    Seymor sounds clear - high freq. excellent
    second - Seymor louder
    third - all strings sounding good and equal - not like original pickups - B string - sounds two time lower then other.

11. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Mine is V, V, T as well. Thanks for the tip on the foam!

12. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You're welcome. I used adhesive backed weatherstripping.

13. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    Just got one of these myself last week...nice for what it is! Any idea what type of wood this is, kind of on the fence as far as basswood or alder or ?

14. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    A red ProTone P5? The body should be Ash.

15. Kitsapbass

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    Cool. Now all it needs really is an electronics overhaul...!

16. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    You really think so? I'm quite happy with the sound of mine. When I raised the pickups (a lot) it sounded a lot better.

17. Kitsapbass

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    No I'm having the same problem as the OP. B is extremely "eh" sounding. Not acoustically, but I raised the pickup, lowered it, lowered the treble side while raising the bass side...still just....there. Acoustically, it sounds great, very much in sync volume-wise with the other strings.

18. rojo412

rojo412 Walnut is fun! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    My time with one was quite short lived, but I managed to get some time with it apart.
    I found the stock pickups a bit blah as well. However, I bought it to swap pickups and make it a sleeper. And there's no shortage of possibility there. The EMG 40 sized pickups yield almost endless options.

I tried a set of Ken Smith (Kent Armstrong) pickups and there was a definite boost in abilities. The body is resonant and pickups which can take advantage of that do help immensely.

And there's plenty of room in the cavity to squeeze a battery for either a preamp or active pickups. Or to add a bunch of passive switching options with dual coil pickups, if that's your game (it was my intent at first).