1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Squier VM P bass blows away my Ric 4003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GeezerDeacon69, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Got the VM P (the amber finished maple one) today. Originally got it as a beater for dive bar gigs so my Ric wouldn't get trashed.

Sonically at least, the VM kills the Ric. Louder, more definition, and much longer sustain. Much better lows, and even the highs are better.

How can this be? Am I losing my hearing? Maybe I'm just a P bass guy at heart, but man, what a nice bass for 279 out the door.

2. well, I mean, if you don't *LIKE* the Ric...you should send it to me and I'll get rid of it :D

3. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    Shhh! Don't tell anyone!!...they might ALL find out! :D

4. That must be one dog of a Ric.

5. RBX4

RBX4

Dec 21, 2010
    Miami, Florida
    I don't doubt it I just finished ripping on my 2 vm jazzes! Always a quality practice with them

6. I do the same thing... I buy a new bass and start thinking about selling everything else. After the honeymoon, my new acquisition will find it's place in the collection and things settle a bit. I have a '72 Fender P and an '05 Ric 4003. They're very different basses, and I'd hate to lose either of them. The one a grab first is usually the Ric, though.

7. Or, it could just be one hell of a good Squier.
    Just because he likes the Squier better, doesn't mean the Ric is a "dog".

8. jedw

jedw

Jun 5, 2010
    Preston Uk
    No it doesn't

Some people prefer one, other people will prefer the other.

Totally different tone, add to that, there is no cheap far east Ric so comparing the price is meaningless.

:bag:

9. Zoa

Zoa

Dec 28, 2009
    This should be fun.

10. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Glad you got a bass that speaks to you. :)

As far as the rest of the hoopla that may or may not be implied, I personally don't get it.

It's well known that VM Squiers are stepping up to the plate, and are killer basses.

And Rics, well, they are Rics (God bless 'em).

Enjoy your Precision, they are popular for a reason!!!! (and post a pic or two of your bass already!) ;)

11. saldo

saldo

May 8, 2011
    Hi,
    I must confess that im owner of MM stingray and german warwick stremer lx5 and also squier VM jazz bass and i must tell u that VM has fantastic sound and the neck is super comfortable very nice basses :bassist:
    :hyper:

12. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I already have the amber p bass. Sooo....you need to send me that "DOG" Ric so I can determine this to be true. testing only takes 2 to 5 years...

13. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I owned a Squier VM Precision and I agree that they are excellent for the money, definitely versatile and gig worthy. I've owned several Rics and they're really great at being what they are - unique in tone, style, and being.... Rics :)

14. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    I can identify with this.

I was at GC and out of the blue, I picked up
    an amber VM P bass. It seemed to blow all
    the other basses out of the water.

I had to have that bass. Not one in a box, I
    wanted that bass.

It was $300 after tax and I can't part with it.

But, it is still second fiddle to my Westone
    Electra PJ bass and my upgraded Peavey Fury

Tabdog

15. thats like saying "my new Harley Davidson blows away my Camaro!", or "my screw driver is better than my hammer!"

Different tools, different use, different results!

16. Exactly right. I have the Squier amber VM P (I too, love it) and I would love to have a Ric as well, but, for the kind of music I am primarily interested in playing, a Ric would find little use, The VM P would be my primary workhorse. For MY purposes, the Squier is a better choice.

17. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Carlos nails it. Maybe your precision is the tone hammer and your Ric the tone screwdriver...? ;) ;) ;)

18. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    How is that? You don't use a screwdriver to do the same jobs that you would use a hammer for. Well, okay, maybe you do, but I (and most people) don't.

However, you WOULD (or could, anyway) use a P bass or a Ric to do all the exact same jobs (unless the job has a cosmetic/esthetic requirement that rules one or the other out - which would be irrelevant to the OP's point).

P versus Ric is more like the difference between a hammer with a rubber grip or a handle with a leather-wrapped grip.

19. BassDaddy77

BassDaddy77

Feb 12, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Every time I see this type of thread I chuckle to myself. It does make me feel a little less crazy - "You mean other folks are experiencing the same thing as me?..." I'm constantly trying to convince myself that my more expensive US, Japanese, and German made basses are better than my Squiers. And every time I play the Squiers I disprove my skepticism. I'm not suggesting any generalized notion that Squiers are in fact better than basses costing hundreds (sometimes thousands) more, but man do I love mine. :bassist:

20. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    It can't.

Probably.

About this, we can agree!

All said in jest (except the last comment). The best bass can only be determined by you.