My Steinberger NOBD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chili Bo Billy, Sep 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. IMG_0756.JPG I missed my Steinberger so much, I got another one...
    Last time I held an L2 was 26 years ago.
    I bought a Steinberger spirit when they came out, and was underwhelmed... couldn't hold a candle to the original.
    I got this L2 used and I'm sure it was a lined fretless originally.
    My bass had dot markers on the fret board.
    I'm happy again!

2. My wife encouraged me to get it, even though it wasn't in the budget.
    She is such great woman!!!

Honch, JRA, Ellery and 4 others like this.
  3. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Nicely done. A classic bass. I have been having similar thoughts lately.

Chili Bo Billy likes this.
  4. Was feeling nostalgic, maybe I'll put a Rush tribute and call it... wait for it...." Grays under pressure."
    Being the ole fart that I am, I'm finding myself reminiscing about those heady days of playing 6-7 days a week, what a hoot!

5. IMG_0755.JPG

Honch, Ellery, SirMjac28 and 4 others like this.
  6. stacker

stacker Inactive

Feb 24, 2010
    scotland
    Well done, OP. I let my XL2A go many, many years ago. She spent ten years in the wilderness and she eventually resurfaced and I bought her back from the same fella I sold her to. She also has a transitional XL2UF to keep her company.

Once fretless, you say?

SirMjac28 and Chili Bo Billy like this.
  7. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Nice old bird. I still have my 86' XP2. The L2's are such great basses, the original design was the best IMO, though I wouldn't mind one of the new NS 4 basses. Never seen one without dots, so the fretless theory probably correct. You could check via serial numbers if you have the interest.

bebi and stacker like this.
  8. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Congrats! I've had an XL2 for many years and know I'll never flip it. I use it regularly and am still blown away by how it sounds and plays.
    When I do take it out and get comments, they typically fall into two categories:
    Youths that marvel at it (either seeing one in person for the first time or just in general),
    and guys our age OP - that had one, sold it years ago, and wished they never did and wanted another!

Happy to hear you were able to come full circle! Enjoy your new Steiner all over again!

Honch and Chili Bo Billy like this.
  9. stacker

stacker Inactive

Feb 24, 2010
    scotland
    True. Wonder if it got sent back to the factory or was changed to fretted before shipping?

10. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Nice! Enjoy it.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  11. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Nice! I just recently learned about the history of Steinberger after seeing them for many years. Didn't realize the originals were so cutting edge. Also, nice Ray, I love mine!

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've never seen a lined fretless L2...mine was unlined. I agree the lack of dots suggests a conversion.

bebi and Chili Bo Billy like this.
  13. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Nice. I sold my L2 last year and I miss it big time. Actually I traded my XL2 for that L2 and I miss the XL2 much more. The minor improvements in the XL2 over the L2 were big to me (the bridge and leg rest) and the tone wasnt that much different. I was GASn for a Spector and Musicman so I sold the L2 and bought a Euro LX and Stingray. I like those basses but I regret selling my Steiny!

SirMjac28 and Chili Bo Billy like this.
  14. stacker

stacker Inactive

Feb 24, 2010
    scotland
    I had one on loan back in nineteen canteen. Was defo an L2, lined with position dots on board.

15. stacker

stacker Inactive

Feb 24, 2010
    scotland
    Got your serial number, OP?

mc900ftj likes this.
  16. I checked the serial number on the website for Steinbergers and it indicated that it was indeed a lined fretless.
    It was numbered #157 from the Sullivan st.

17. stacker

stacker Inactive

Feb 24, 2010
    scotland
    WOW! That's an early one and I can see that! Wonder who did the conversion? What are the fret slots like on the edges?

BTW, you might want to let Berndt know at www.headless-europe.eu and get that entry updated.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  18. It needs a little TLC.... it was dusty and some parts are rusty but will start to restore it with replacement parts

19. IMG_0760.JPG O IMG_0758.JPG Thanks Stacker! I will definitely check it out.
    Here a couple of pics...

smperry and Ellery like this.
  20. stacker

stacker Inactive

Feb 24, 2010
    scotland
    Nice, man.

Any of these ends 'proud' of the neck profile?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021