Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Steinberger project is finished!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    After much hullabaloo, it's done: behold! My fretless Steinberger!

I installed some Rio Grande Pitbull pickups, wired them direct to the jack with nothing but a switch between, painted and shielded the control cavity, shielded the pickups, and slapped a fretless Moses neck on it.

Man, this thing kicks! It's got tons of mwuah, and since it's a double humbucking P configuration, it doesn't get thin when the bridge pickup is soloed. These pickups kick major ass vs. the EMGs that are in my other bass; much more character, deeper and punchier. They also LOVE all my beloved distorion boxes. The neck is slightly too thin for my tastes (Moses wouldn't make a deeper neck for me), but I imagine I can force myself to get used to it. The neck does feel very nice to the touch though, and sounds good. I'm not sure how I feel about the fretboard - I was expecting a plain black phenolic fingerboard, and they sent me this diamondwood neck instead. It feels good, but the look may take some getting used to. Moses also told me the fretboard edges would be rolled, which they weren't. Overall I was rather non-plussed with Moses' service, but the neck isn't terrible, so I figured I'd keep it until I become a millionaire who can afford to have one built to my specs.

And now, the pics!

The bass:
    [​IMG]

Neck shots:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bridge shots (for those who are curious about the TransTrem):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Control (what little there is) cavity:
    [​IMG]

This bass is going to get me into alot of trouble, methinks. Fretless plus a trem! This opens up a world of out of tune possibilities!

This is also my 3000th post, by the way. Rejoice with me, my brothers.

2. Does heavy trem work through that out of tune much?

3. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Not at all. This thing is very hard to knock out of tune... well, at least the open notes! :D

4. girlybassplaya

girlybassplaya Guest

Mar 24, 2004
    USA BABY!
    oooh benji. . . she's beautiful. . .i'm coming over. be there in 15.

5. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    And there was much rejoicing.
    I like the fret board but you are right, it doesn't quite match the straight look you expect from a steinberger. Gives it some character though. Congrats!

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    sound clips!

7. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    My eyes just had an orgasm.

8. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I dig that. I'm glad Moses finally sent your neck, too. I was afraid somebody was gonna have to get cut.

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
  10. there shall be beer and much rejoicing.

the neck would look fine on something else, but it's a little goofy looking on that.

i still think you should put eyeballs in the "knob holes"
    there's a pirate supply store over on mission where you can pick some up for cheap.

drinks tonight?

11. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Heh! I'm still recovering from last night! I didn't get home until 6 this morning. So, of course drinks tonight!

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    THATS what a fretless should sound like. Nice man. I suck at playing a fretless, so my fretless sucks, makes sense :p Thats a nice bass you got there though.

13. cool. we'll give you a call in an hour or so. i vote for your house, seeing how you have the newest gear.

back on subject:
    you gonna hold onto the old neck for a while, just to make sure you can learn to love this one?

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    He's already promised it to me if he keeps the Moses. He doesn't know it right now, but he did.

15. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Well, a promise is a promise. Lemme know if he renegs and I'll go take care of him for you.

Also, might I add how friggin badass that sounds, Ben?