Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Stepsons first bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BlackNeckJspl, Jan 25, 2003.

1. BlackNeckJspl

BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    Indiana
    Well I just had the local shop order a red Squire Bronco. It reminds me of my old Mustang that I learned on. For some strange reason my wife thinks red basses are better than Black. If it makes it easier for me to buy new basses let all my new basses be red lol!!! ;)

(I wanted to get him a short scale SX but Rondo is going to be out of them for 4 months.) I heard it has a less than Ideal pick up. I am thinking of putting a 62-reissue fender p pickup on my bass and using the current pickup on his bronco. What is the best way to modify the pick guard so it doesn’t look like a chop job?

2. BlackNeckJspl

BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    Indiana
    Here is a pic from musicians friend, same color as kyle's bass will be.

3. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Here's my Daughter playing hers....

BTW - you dont need to change the pickup, it's actually pretty good.
    Change the pots and the wiring - makes a LOT of difference!

4. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Actually, You've asked a question that I actually know quite a lot about.
    When you pull off the pickguard when you get the bronco, you will find there is a canal that runs from the location of the pickguard to the control pots. In order to make that canal work for p-pickups, you will have to make it a whole lot taller. I mean in the direction running from the neck to the bridge. Also, you may actually have to add some wood to give the p-pickups enough body to screw into. THe original pickup is attached to the pickguard on a floating spring system.
    A humbucking jazz would fit onto into the space allowed well, and there is enough wood right under where a jazz would go to screw into. Again, you'll understand what I mean when you get it. The pickguard could also be easily modified to accept a jazz pickup, but you might run into an issue with string spacing. there are chrome covers you can put on the pickguard that are in the shape of eigther jazz or p-bass pickups, so your cut job does not have to be exact. I would also suggest changing the bridge while your at it. The old one is terrible.
    I just got done adding a bridge pickup to my son's bronco, after the attempt to adding a neck pickup didn't give me the sound I was looking for. Here are some more pictures, feel free to ask any more questions about working on a bronco.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. BlackNeckJspl

BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    Indiana
    Finely picked it up yesterday! Would have picked it up Thursday but he didn’t get his homework done until the store was closed.:( (I thought it was open later.) Sucks having to be a responsible parent when you are as excited as he is!! He won’t see it till we pick him up from his fathers later today.

Just got done installing the thumb rest like the one that was on my old Mustang bass. Looked at the stock bridge it looks like setting the intonation is going to be like hand grenades and horseshoes. :eek: Having two instead of four barrels means setting the best average of two strings. The E string has fret buzz below the twelfth fret. I’m going to raise it up a little. The D and G-string also buzz down there but not as bad. So it will most likely need a neck adjust and set up but Ill wait till I replace the bridge.

6. BlackNeckJspl

BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    Indiana
    Hmmm, Looking at the Picture I see you also have an Amp handily placed near the Kitchen Table, which is almost as clean and organized as ours.:D Both our kids now have a Bronco, scary isn’t it? ;) When Kyle gets home tonight Ill have to break out the camera. I’ll post a picture as soon as possible.

7. BlackNeckJspl

BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    Indiana
    Not having pulled Kyles Bronco apart, I am wondering if the pots are mounted on the pickgaurd. And what are good replacement Pots?

8. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Yes, the pots are mounted on the guard.
    I used "cermet" pots which I think means ceramic/metallised.
    Be sure you put a whole load of sheilding in there as well.
    Ordinary kitchen foil works well glued to the back of the pickguard and copper foil tape for the cavities.

9. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I didn't add any shielding, but the humbuckers I put in are dead quiet anyway. Ground everything properly and you should have too much of an issue.

no amount of sheiding will cure the noise that strat gee-tar pickup makes. go with a humbucker.

10. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Hey, I went to Rondomusic last time and I saw a small bodied P Bass.. did u ask them about that one!?? I went there like a week ago

DM

11. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Here is the pic
    [​IMG]

12. BlackNeckJspl

BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    Indiana
    Hmmm I had e-mailed them in december and they had said they would be out of those for four months.:(

13. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    "no amount of sheiding will cure the noise that strat gee-tar pickup makes. go with a humbucker"

I haven't had that problem, my buddy who works for Fender U.K. reckons it ISN'T a strat pickup.
    It's apparently based on one but "overwound" ?
    Iv'e found it to be actually pretty good.:confused:

14. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    well, i don't know about the overwound part, but if you turn it over it has six poles. That's a pretty good sign that it's a gee-tar pickup. I doubt if they would do any kind of modifications to it for the lowly bronco.
    I really didn't have a beef with the sound of it, mostly the noise, which was unacceptable.

:bassist:

15. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Yeah,
    I have to admit it was a bit noisy at first but replacing the wiring and pots, and the sheilding pretty much cured it.
    :)

16. BlackNeckJspl

BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    Indiana
    Well I got around the problem of now having two Bassists and only one amp. A $5 Gold Series Mono to Mono 1/4" Y-Adapter from radio scrap.