1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My stereo is broken!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 1dgbass, Nov 14, 2010.

1. 1dgbass

1dgbass

Jul 24, 2009
    Staten Island
    Hey All,

As a musician this is a big deal. For some reason the radio works, but my stereo doesn't play CD's. ***?!

It's a sony with pretty big speakers.

You can see it here in this vid:http://www.youtube.com/user/1dgkonig?feature=mhum

Any advice or should I buy a new one? Anybody have problems like this in the past?

Thanks in advance.

Douglas

2. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

No offense, but those "box stereos" with the components all together are disposable. That's how they're made and how they're intended to be used...not worth repairing. When they break you chuck 'em and get another.

If the CD player spins but no sound is forthcoming, the one thing I can suggest is to run a cleaning CD through it a couple of times - they have a tiny brush that hopefully knocks dust off laser lens. If that doesn't work, give the stereo to Goodwill or some other charitable organization and get another.

Separate components are individually replaceable, although more cabling and a larger footprint is usually required.

3. sadly this is all too true....but the good news is that the local second hands often have good quality receiver/speaker/cd players for cheeeep....and they usually sound better than the boom boxes by miles

4. 1dgbass

1dgbass

Jul 24, 2009
    Staten Island
    Thanks for the responses!!

:)

5. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    CD + computer + headphones?..

PLAN B: a line out from your computer to your stereo. (if you try this, please be sure to power everything down before plugging anything in to ensure that no damage will result).

6. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I bought a discman at a Family Dollar for 13 bucks. The stuff is cheap, you should stop being so. Get a real stereo this time. ;)

7. In this day and age, you don't even need a stereo anymore. Just spend $60-$100 or so on a decent set of computer speakers, even a 2.1 set (2 little speakers + 1 mini subwoofer) will sound just as good if not better than those box stereo mini systems. Most stores that carry computer stuff (like Fry's, Best Buy, etc.) will have several different ones to choose from, just bring a Walkman or mp3 player with you to try them out, because some sound better than others. Logitech, Altec-Lansing, etc. make some great little speaker systems, and they will plug into anything that has a headphone jack. If you have a component with RCA outputs, you can get an RCA to 1/8" stereo miniplug cable for a few bucks at Radio Shack and plug it into the speaker system's aux input (most of them have one; if not, you can get an RCA to 1/8" adapter for just a few bucks at Radio Shack).

Just make sure you get a speaker system marketed for use with computers rather than one for iPods/mp3 players etc. Same technology, different marketing/pricing schemes. You'll get a lot more bang for your buck with computer speakers. I can't believe how much nice warm bass my little Logitech's mini subwoofer generates. It's only the size of a old fashioned toaster.

8. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    My Droid phone sounds better than those box stereos, and I cant even see where the damn speakers are...

9. I can surely relate to you in a different way. I practice playing bass either using a playlist I put together on Winamp. Or I use Hypster or Playlist.com. Since Hypster has put all the YouTube videos in with the music, (yes your video I just watched is also gonna be on Hypster without the film), I get not only get all my YouTUbe sounds on it, but also some of the songs changed. Some will be live, which someone filmed at a concert and you hear their screaming...or another person's cover. I went to Playlist.com to practice today, went to my bass songs, and half of the list is no longer available. Either the record companies pulled the songs or something.
    I have my bf (who's a DJ) music on my external hard drive, but he doesn't have all the songs I play on bass. SO needless to say it spoiled my practice today!
    My advice is to maybe get a computer in your room and hook up a surround sound to it, and play your CDs thru that..I do that sometimes too.
    Those stereos like you are using are relatively cheap and you can prob find a second hand one on Craigslist.

10. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Your stereo is a goner...

11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

To practice, I connect the headphone jack from my netbook into one input on the amp, then play YouTube cuts through that channel.

I connect the bass to the other input and...there you have it. instant accompaniment.

12. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    The CD player on my boombox died 15 years ago...I keep it around for use as "computer speakers".