Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Sterling FINALLY!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CrawlingEye, Sep 5, 2001.

1. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I just got my Sterling this morning, I would've posted this thread earlier, but I've been busy playing it.

I literally jumped out of the shower mid-shower when the UPS guy came.

It came in perfect condition.
    No imperfections, no blems, nothing wrong with it at all.
    I liked the Sterlings I tried in the store's, but now that I've played this one, it seems that they had quite a few imperfections, that I just didn't pick up on. The setup came perfect, even came in tune, which's quite a feat, since it came from Florida to Pennsylvania.

I opened the box (which was soooo tightly closed)
    and I gave it a look, it was even better looking then I had imagined. The neck feel's great, I gave it a run down for any things that shouldn't be (scratches, dingy's, etc), like other things that might be there from someone playing it in a store.

It didn't even have as much as a spec of dust on it.

It has a great tone, not too in your face, but with a clear, smooth, punchy tone.
    I played (finger picked) with it the second I got it out of the box for about 15-20 minutes, then I jumped back in and washed the shampoo out of my hair :D . Came back down, and played it again, and fooled around with some slap, and fooled with the EQ a little more. This thing you CAN NOT make it sound bad. Granted, there's some EQ settings I perfer to others, but this thing's impossible to make it sound bad (even if you try!).

I'm just in awe with it. I was originally worried about how it'd sound with my amp (Peavey Firebass II 700 head, Peavey 410TXF, Peavey 115BXBW), but it sounds perfect, better then the amps I tried it on in stores.

The finish (incase any of you didn't hear me mention it in other threads) is white, black 3 layer pickgaurd, and the white matching headstock... I also got the maple fretboard option, which I'm glad I got.

I can't see myself ever getting rid of it.
    I even like the matching headstock (which I originally didn't think I would).

I'd like to say thanks to all the guys at Bass Central (www.basscentral.com) for being so nice, helpful, and informative with everything.

I'm going to give a call up there momentarily to say thanks, so you'll probably get the call before you read this. :)

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Finally? The last post I read was "6 days till". ;) Well, congrats!!!!!!! Sterlings are GREAT basses!!!!!! The Sam Ash where I used to work has a black/black/maple w/a big chunk out of it for like $950. I still think that is alittle too much. :)

3. You'll probably be too busy with your new baby to read this - but hope you enjoy every minute!

I have to say I love the sound of my Sterling, the feel of the neck... the figured maple... the fantastic variation in tones you can get...

May it give you years of pleasure! :)

4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Thanks, and thanks, Nino, too...

I'm sure it will give me many years of pleasure. I have no intentions what-so-ever of getting rid of it.

Now all I need is a ride out to get straplocks, a strap, and another stand...

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have no intentions of getting rid of any of my basses, but sh*t happens sometimes. :) I had a couple of Sterlings (3 fretted 1 fretless) .

I'd like to get another Sterling but then I'd have to get a divorse lawyer ;) too.

6. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    WE WANT PICS, WE WANT PICS, WE WANT PICS,
    WE WANT PICS, WE WANT PICS!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats man!!:D

7. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Glad you love the bass, man.

Never hesitate to call us and spend more cash..erp! ;)

Happy Bass playin,
    Neal

8. Congrats, Crawling. You do know that you're pushing me to the edge --- the edge of buying a Stingray 5. Please, I'm trying to control myself!

Enjoy it, and NEVER sell it!
    Mike J.

9. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Good advice, and I'll never sell it. If you do get a Stingray 5, I suggest getting one from basscentral.com... They're great guys.

And Neal, thanks! Same goes for Gard, Beaver, and Grasshopper. Next purchase will definatly be from you guys. :)

10. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Definatly, I'll buy a displosable camera, for band practice on Saturday. Have them put some of the pictures on a disc, for you guys/girls. :)

It's honestly breath taking, with how good it looks.

11. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Divorce lawyer?? Uhmm maybe Jelous Spectors??

12. congratulations man, now we have matching basses (kinda). i bet it's awesome!!

13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    It is.
    And yeah, color wise, except my pickgaurd's black, and yours is gold. :)

14. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Glad you like it!! I'm happy for you... I know how it feels waiting for the UPS or FedEx truck to pull up. What a thrill!!

Enjoy,

-robert

15. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    I hope when I finally get a Stingray5 it will be THAT good. My little brother's band's bass player just got a used Ray5 in horrible condition. I feel bad for him since he returned his new Peavey Cirrus 4 to get that used bass. It doesnt look too good either... Natural finish with a 3-ply black pickguard and maple finger board. Looks pretty yickey to me.

Anyway, a Pearl Blue Ray5 with a maple fb and a black pickguard oughta look pretty good. At least those colors look good on a sterling.

Congrats on your bass, Crawling! I should come over your house and see it some time. :D

16. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Congrats! Slap that thing silly : 0

17. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Hey, I got an idea!

Basscentral should have a Talkbass member discount! :eek:

18. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Congrats, Bro. And welcome to the club.

19. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Actually, if you'd like to, PM me, and coming over to check it out, and possibly talk, could be quite possible. It seems you live quite close to me. (I'm fairly sure Glendon's only like 10 minutes from me)

I don't see why he'd trade a Cirrus for a 'ray, in all honesty. I mean, if you bought a Cirrus because you like it, they're incredible basses from what I gather... (both are), but I would've kept the newer bass over the older one.

Or just saved for a new Stingray 5.

20. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Thanks! And yeah, it's sheer hell waiting for the UPS truck to come.

Thanks! It's kinda funny since I don't like Stingray's much at all... I almost didn't even give Sterling's a chance, just because everyone had said they sounded so much like Stingray's. :eek:
    I'm glad I did give them a chance though. :)

I'm afraid if I slap her anymore I'll have to change my signature to "pimp". :D