1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

my stingray 5 is sounding a tad weak

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bryceg2189, Apr 29, 2010.

1. bryceg2189

bryceg2189

Jul 24, 2009
    so i have a stingray 5 hh, and i love it death...but ive noticed that my passive pj bass is considerably louder and punchier than my SR...and this puzzles me.
    usually i have my eq flat, but i suppose an easy fix would be to just boost some bass and maybe roll of some mids...but i dont like too much bass muddying up everything. just wondering if anyone could offer some suggestions

2. Maybe change the battery, or check it on a voltmeter... Also, sometimes the culprit is old strings.

Good Luck! :bassist:

3. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    To my ears my passive P has a more punchy midrange than my SR5.

Could be one of those vanilla/chocolate things.

4. bryceg2189

bryceg2189

Jul 24, 2009
    so that really could be the case...my pbass could be more of a beast than my stingray

5. +1, try the battery first... could be fading and it's a cheap fix.

What I suspect is that what you're talking about is probably just the difference between passive/active pickups... I also have a Stingray 5 HH (active) and a USA Fender Pbass V (passive) and my Pbass is significantly hotter than any of my active basses. Not necessarily better or worse, just different. :)

5sg.

6. bryceg2189

bryceg2189

Jul 24, 2009
    ahhhhh i actually thought that active basses were hotter because they have a battery in them, but its actually the opposite...so passive basses have a higher output?

i know its not the battery...i just replaced mine i thought it mightve been the pickup height...im weary about adjusting those on the stingray. ive heard that raising them too high can have a negative effect on your strings. BLAST why cant i have a passive switch

7. It isn't that clear cut. Neither have a definate higher output. It varies from pickup to pickup.

With active pickups , the design and intentions of the preamp will result in changes in the output.

Some passive pickups are quiet.

8. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Try removing the battery and play it through your amp. You should have a very low sound even turning up the volume. Put the battery back in. If the sound is the same with the battery is removed, you're not getting good contact with the battery with the pre-amp. I had this problem with a stingray awhile back. If this is the problem, remove the battery holder and bend the battery contacts toward the inside of the battery holder and re-install the holder back and then the battery. Once you do this, you'll get plenty of volume. Good luck :)

9. +1

It just happens that my Pbass is the hottest output bass I own. :)

5sg.

10. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass. Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    This is a very informative thread. I've had lots of basses both passive and active, and never once have I owned a passive that put out higher voltage than an active. Switching between basses always required lowering the pre gain for the active basses. So I've always assumed that an active bass was, by nature, hotter in output.

This is certainly true of my passive Warwick Corvette versus my EBMM Ray... the Ray torches the Warwick in terms of output.

11. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Sounds like a bit of an EQ thing to me. The SR is going to sound much tighter and lose some of the low mids that a P-bass has because the HB is considerably closer to the bridge.

You've got a few options:
    -Upgrade electronics
    -Change amp/bass EQing
    -Accept it for what it is
    -Change strings to a heavier gauge
    -Buy an SR5 HH

12. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    If the battery is strong (don't assume a "new" battery is good) and strings are reasonably new, I'd check pup height. You won't break anything by moving it - just note the current height/angle and then mess around with it. You could also do the same with the P-bass.

Or, just change the input gain when you switch basses. Or buy a TC RH450 and set your presets for each bass and just hit the button :D

13. bwv1013

bwv1013

Mar 20, 2008
    southern cal
    +1. i have a bone-stock MIM jazz that is really hot compared to my 'rays and my Ibby with active electronics. as long as you like your tone just add some gain and problem solved.