my stingray broke

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by shaunathan32, Jul 13, 2005.

1. shaunathan32

Jan 18, 2004
    So while my friend was putting my bass string on for me before a show (he played my bass in the show and i played guitar), he put the g string on the wrong way on my stringray. Im pretty sure what happened is that since the string was coming out of the head to the right instead of the left it was forcefully pulling at the plastic type white strip at the very top of the neck that you place your strings on in the four small crevices to keep them held in place. the next time i opened my bass case the white plastic bar was broken and my g string off to the side of the bass, completely coming off of the neck no more than halfway up the neck. the rest of the plastic bar is intact, it just snapped off of the bass from where you set the g string and to the right of it. Ill try to get pictures. Can anyone estimate how much this would cast to fix?
  2. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    You broke your nut.

No idea how much, but you better talk to a guitar repair guy right away unless you have a backup axe.
  3. Bruce B

Bruce B

Sep 2, 2004
    Call around some music stores and tell them your nut is broke and ask what they would charge to fix it. It shouldn't cost too much.
  4. utopia_imminent

Jun 19, 2004
    it is ard $8 for a nut cos a bit more for the tech to slot the nut and the labour. at most it would cost you $30.
  5. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I'll translate, though this is what I was going to say anyway...

A blank nut, if you want to file and fit it yourself, will cost about $8. However, they're quite a pain to do right. You've got to file it to fit the nut slot, file the bottom to the right radius, and also file out the slots the right position, size, and depth. It's not a fun task.

To get it done for you should cost about $20-$30.
  6. eldave777

May 24, 2005
    It shouldn't cost that much to replace your nut. I suggest replacing the plastic nut with a bone nut.
  7. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    If you have a late model Stingray, then your bass would have a MusicMan compensated nut, and I would highly recommend getting the correct replacement from an Ernie Ball MusicMan dealer.
  8. $30????? i payed $80 to get my jazz fixed(no idea how it happened, i was just playing during a show and my E just flopped around). I took it to a guitar shop that i knew overcharged for everything but i didnt know that much(i need it fixed quick and they are the only one that has a repair guy working everyday not weekends like every other small shop). I stoped going there a while ago(used to get lessons there 2) now im just pissed, i could have bought a ps2 game or somthing with that money. :meh: :mad: :crying:
  9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Somebody's gotta do it.

I ain't gonna even bother. Just put the Beavis voice on and off and you can figure the rest out.

Go to find jonguitars (he's their best repair guy, and a real nice guy too), and ask him to advise. You can tell him I sent ya although that will probably mean nothing. :)
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Love the technical terms in the first post 'the white plasticy thing with 4 ridges'
    or whatever, heheh.
  11. he obviously didn't know what it was called. Fair enough. His description was sufficient to explain the problem.