Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My StingRay for a Thumb bolt-on. Straight up, doggy!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sal_Paradise, Oct 22, 2004.

1. WHOOT! So, the dude I bought my Ray off of also has a Warwick Thumb. Lately he's been regretting selling me the Ray. So, he called the other night and was gabbing about trading me straight up for it. This dude's been a friend o' mine for about 15 years, so he sold me the Ray for $600, which is $100 less than what he paid for it. And if he's willing to do a flat out trade, that's a Thumb for 600 bones! He dropped the Warwick off last night for me to give it a whirl. And I am lovin' it! The body's cracked so it'll need some work done to it, but... yeah. What do y'all think?

This is Canadian currency BTW.

2. Get it, without a second thought, just get the Thumb!

3. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    If it's a bolt-on and the body is cracked I'd think long and hard about it. It's not a bad trade but not a great one either.... :meh:

Stingrays are pretty cool after all... :bassist:

4. Don't let the SR go! Like your friend, I think that you'll be wanting it back shortly. I made the same trade, a SR5 for a Thumb 5 neck-thru, and after playing the Warwick for a month, I couldn't wait to get back to a Stingray. But as they say, different strokes for different folks...

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I'd personally keep the SR, they've always felt and sounded better in my hands and ears, and since the body's cracked, in any bass, I wouldn't like that. I like my gear to be solid solid solid, but perhaps you'd be happy with a fix.
    You could always get the Thumb, and find out that you don't like it and find another used SR prolly for about as much as you could get for the thumb ;).

Ray

6. Keep the Thumb it owns the SR!

7. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Think long and hard about it. Compare the two to which you feel better about. Which you're more comfortable with, and which sounds better to you. I personally would not do it, but thats just becasue I think Rays are the greatest basses ever made, but Warwicks are great in their own right.

8. It depends if he wants punch or growl?

9. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    It depends on what he likes best.

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    +27

Get what you want man, don't listen to us. :)

Ray

11. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Agreed 100%, although I do love both Warwick and Musicman basses. Both are great basses but each has it's own personality. It's going to come down to which bass really has the tone you want and which feel comfortable in your hands. Which bass allows you to just play without hinderance or having to adjust to anything. That's nice that this is a friend of yours and you have the opportunity to try out each bass for a time.

By the way, can you describe the "cracks", are they structural cracks that extend through the body or are they surficial cracks due to the body drying out. If the later, routine waxing and a little sanding (if necessary) just might fix it right up.

12. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    If you want to do it,then go ahead.I mean it wouldn't be that great of a lost because Stingray 4/5's are all over the place.

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sigh.

14. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    I simply love your utter love of all things Warwick!

GOOD MAN :smug:

15. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I'd keep the Ray, but that's my personal taste.

16. From my experience, they both got punch and growl, but in their own unique way.

17. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Stingrays definitely have their distinct growl, as do Warwicks. I think i like the sound of Warwick Streamers and Thumbs best, but i find streamers to be the most distinct actually. Streamer stage II to be exact. Something about the tone by P-Nut and Zender is really distinct.

18. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Or, to make a choice from a less logical perspective to a more (I can't think of the word) one...

If possible, try to stay away from each bass for a few days (maybe 4-5). Then after some bass deprivation, the one that haunts your dreams the most and the first one you instinctively want to pick up after the deprivation period is ultimately the one to keep.

19. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Learn some punctuation, okay?

By the way, I'd keep the Stingray. To no one's surprise.

20. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    +1