Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my stingray has a big clunky neck....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pigpen02, Oct 7, 2002.

1. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    but i love the tone, it just rocks, cuts through the mix, great booming lows, it just has it for me....

but the neck.

so, i'm thinking i'd like to find a different bass, something w/ a very similar sound, but with a much more user-friendly neck. something jazz-like, i have small hands. i love the three band eq, but i can always drop that in after.

so, does anybody have any useful recommendations of basses to give a try? really love the stingray, i just develop some pains after playing for a few hours.

thanks.

2. Sure, do this.

[​IMG]

Warmoth Body/Neck. Basslines P/U system. More comfy/easy to play, and waaaaaay out there tone. It's definetly easy to get in everyone's face with this thing.

3. Check out the Sterling. It's just like a Stingray-same company,everything. It has a Jazz Bass-style neck and more versatile electronics. It has a 3-way switch that let's you choose single coil,series and parallel. But,it has the same pickup so you can get a Stingray tone. My favorite bass...:D

4. I too am on the hunt for a sterling. I had an opertunity to try one, and that is when I decided I would get one. I liked the Stingray's sound, but wanted a different style neck, more jazz, tried the Sterling and that was it. The Sterling seemed a little brighter set at flat EQ, but still bounced a good funk!:D

5. The Sterling has a smaller body and a rounded neck joint too. It's a sweet bass. I'll be adding one after I finish my homemade Jazz bass. If you look at the electronics on the Stingray 5,they're the same as the Sterling. It seems they based the Stingray 5 off of the Sterling more than the Stingray. Hmmm:cool:

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    G&L with neck number 6

7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    The neck thing is a myth. Check out the website, it gives the specs. The stingray is an unnoticable fraction of an inch wider at one point. They're virtually the same necks. I think the fact that the rest of the bass is smaller and lighter gives the illusion that the neck is thinner.

Sterling is my favorite bass too. It's all I ever play these days.

8. Couldn't you get a smaller neck for your SR??:confused:

9. between a StingRay and a Sterling. When one finds the neck on a 4 string to big this usually comes from an improper thumb position of the left hand. I'm not saying that this is the case, but it might be. I have really small hands as well and I play big chunky 5 string necks all the time. The reason for this is that I started on Double bass back in college. When you play double bass you have to put you thumb in the center of the back of the neck. The neck is so wide and thick and the action is so high that you just can't get enough clamping action any other way. Your hand can stretch across a much wider spand this way because your hand is pivoting on your thumb and wrist. If you are already playing this way, then maybe the Sterling is the answer.
    Hope the helps

10. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    One of the reasons I bought my SR5 is the neck felt slimmer than most other 5's, and as slim as some 4's. I tried the Fender jazz 5 and the Roscoe Beck 5 and that thing felt like I was playing a skakeboard with strings on it. I know everybody is different but chunky is one word I just don't associate with Musicman necks. YMMV.

11. That's a good analogy for a Fender 5string neck. I think I'll steal that one from you.:D

12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    It may only be an 1/8", but it's a BIG 1/8".

I spent an hour going back and forth between several examples of each when I got my Sterling, and I found there was a noticeable difference. It's not just the width, it's the depth and taper, too.

It's not like comparing a Warwick to a Ibanez, but the differences are there, albeit subtle.

13. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    You're welcome to it, and I wont' even ask for a credit line;)

14. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Check out the US Washburn XB900. It's got one of the fastest necks I've ever played on any bass. A lot of stores have these on deep discount.

15. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I'm not sure about this.
    I own a Stingray5 (which is actually a Sterling5) and it has a very slim and comfortable neck.
    The other day I tried a 4-string Stingray at a shop and it had the most clunky neck I've ever came across. It was almost as thick as wide, a monstrous club, I didn't like it at all.

So if you are looking for a Stingray with a thinner neck check out the Sterling!

Matthias

16. The Stingray has a "clunky" neck? :confused:

I mean, if your hands are genuinely tiny, OK. GrayBeard's right, though: check your technique before you swap your bass. If that means raising your strap, do it.

--The Thick-Neck-Loving Smug One

17. Pigpen02, I used to feel the same way about bass necks for years; they had to be thin otherwise I didn't like them. About two years ago when I started getting back into the bass scene, all of a sudden the reverse is true, the wider the better.

Has this happened to anybody else? I find that with a wider neck I play a little better. Maybe my hand position got better? Go figure. :(

Do not abandon your Stingray, it loves you! :D

Mike J.

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Stingray5 is a totally different animal.

Doesn't the Stingray have a neck that's basically the same size as a traditional Fender P-Bass neck? If so, yes, it is chunky. Is that a bad thing? Not to me, but to some. My Tacoma has this size neck and I love it. However, all my electric 4 strings have Jazz size or smaller necks. I thought that the Sterling had a Jazz style neck. Check out the Sterling.

BTW I like the big chunky neck on my Fender Jazz V. :)

19. Would the MTD Kingston be worth investigating? What are the differences in neck sizes between Kingston and Stingray?