Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my stock ibanez pickups are noisy!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by electricdemon3, May 25, 2002.

1. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    I have an older model soundgear ibanez bass, an SR400 and the stock pickups are active(as far as I know because it has a battery) and I get a real bad hissing sound from them. I know its not my amp because my cheap fender squire p bass doesn't make that much noise when it's plugged in. I was wondering if this is normal for cheap stock pickups or if it is just my bass. Also, is this a common problem with all active pickups?

I never really liked the way my pickups sound and the overall volume level of them aren't as loud as my stock passive pickups in my fender. I would like to get new pickups but should I get active pickups and a new preamp or just get passive pickups? I don't want active pickups if they still have this hiss problem. Any recommendations?

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hmm, I think this is just an isolated problem with your bass. I have two Ibanez's (including an SR400) and they are as quiet as a pin being dropped on the floor. I do agree though, the SR400 pickups aren't as loud as I think they should be.

Before you decide to drop money are new pickups, you should check a few things:

First, check the lead you are using. A bad cable can cause a lot of humming.

Second, check and make sure the shielding in the electronics cavity is tip top.

Make sure no neon lights are on around your amp. (stupid thing to tell you, but if you do have any on, they'll make you hum)

3. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    How do I check the shielding?

By the way, to clarify, the noise I am getting is not a hum or buzz sound like it would be if it were affected by 60 cycle hum or interferance, it is more like a steady hiss, kind of like white noise.

4. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    To correct what I said earlier:

I just checked out the Ibanez site and it looks like my bass has passive pickups and an active EQ(which is why I have a battery).

5. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    I must be trippin.

I just checked my bass again and I was wrong. It definitely is a buzz sound. It gets unbearable if I turn up the treble on my bass or on my amp, sounds like a swarm of bees. Maybe it is a shield problem afterall. The amount of noise changes depending on my position in the room but it is always there.

Any suggestions?

6. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    Well, I decided to just replace them with EMGs. I just put them in last night and no more noise! also, my bass sounds better than ever!

7. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Now my Ibanez probably doesn't make as much noise as yours did but I do notice that when I put up the treble on it gets noisy. I always assumed that it was just a bad preamp.

8. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    Yeah, thats what I finally concluded.

9. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Well the thing that makes me wonder about the pickups being noisy is that the Ibanez SR models come stock with MightyMite pickups. The same pickups come in the Cort Curbow. I have both a Curbow and an Ibanez and my Ibanez makes a lot more noise. If you do a search you might be able to find that we have had a discussion like this before and most agree that it isn't the pickups but mostly the preamp.