Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My store has a MO'Bass!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ka-tet, Oct 2, 2000.

1. ka-tet

ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    Hey guys. I just got the MoBass in as I'm sure several other stores have as well. If anyone is interested it's $1249. I tried it out and it's pretty cool. I'm not really an SWR guy but this amp wasn't bad.

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Tell us more! Tell us more!

3. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    Finally!!!!

Mine should be coming to the Netherlands this month. I can't wait... but I have to...

Could you do a thorough check of it and describe to us what you think?? I would like to know if it sounds the same as say an SWR Bass350 if no effects are on. Also I would like a detailed description of the sounds you can get from the effects.

Thanx!!!

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Somebody give us a review, or at least a mini review!

Please?

5. ka-tet

ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    Well. I've finally had a chance to really give the Mo a workout. As I said before, SWR is really not my cup of tea so please don't take my review too serious. I don't like it. The basic tone of the amp is SWR like but seems a little lifeless to me. I didn't A/B it with a Bass 350 or anything else but it was just missing something. As for the effects: I didn't like the overdrive at all. It was very crunchy and digital sounding. I'm not sure that's the right description but it was the first thing I thought of. I didn't think the Octaver tracked very well. It did alright down to about E on the A string but was a little weak after that. There was always some weird distortion thing going on in the background that wouldn't go away. The synth sounded OK if you really worked with it and found the "sweet spot". It was mainly just an envelope filter that doesn't work as near well as say a Q-tron. The chorus was chorus. I've never liked the sound of chorus on a bass and I still don't. Needless to say I'm not real impressed with this amp. Truth be told I'm a little disappointed.
    Eventhough this is a pretty negative review, I must say that a couple of my customers who are SWR fans seem to really like the amp. One of them said it sounded just like his Bass 750 while one of them said it "sort of" sounded like his Sm 500. Again, as I'm not the type of player that goes for the SWR tone in the least I am probably not the best person to review this amp. But at the price that it is and with all the little extras you get, it's not bad.

6. Oh, man, how could it be bad with all those KNOBS and FEATURES? ;-)

7. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    Hi Ka-tet,

Thanx for the mini-review. I have a question for you. Did you read the manual before testing the Mo' Bass? I've already read it maybe a hundered times just so I know what knobs to turn to get the sound I'm looking for. The manual states that if the overdrive is ON then the synth acts as an evelope filter, NOT as a synth. Maybe that's what happened to you??!!?? I've heard a demo of the synth last month and it sounded fantastic. Could you please check again???

Damn now I want to check it for myself even more....

michaeln: knobs are never bad :)

8. ka-tet

ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    Yeah I read the manual. (Eventhough it goes against everything I hold dear and sacred being man!) I think the most important part of my review was that I am not an SWR fan and that I'm not the best person to review it. I'm sorry I didn't find the amp or its effects very useful. I'm sure others will think its the greatest amp they've ever heard.

9. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
  10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Well, im glad i didnt buy the Mo' Bass i guess! I guess ill have to buy a preamp or something to compensate.

Hey Ka-tet, how about those Ibanez strings? Do they make 6 string sets? Im considering ordering some soon.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yep. Knobs are good. But I'm not big on effects for bass in the first place. The POD makes a fun toy, but I never use it on stage. I doubt that I'd ever use the effects on the Mo' Bass. I'd rather put that kind of coin into a mondo amp, and do the rest with outboard effects. You know, a nice big SWR or Eden thingie. But still with plenty o' knobs.

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes, this sounds like a really bad idea. I mean if you want effects, buy effects units, if you want an amp get an amp. This just sounds like the worst of both worlds - if you don't like one of the effects or would never use it, you can't take it out and you may prefer another effect sound and end up buying this as well, while never using the in-built one. Far better to buy as simple an amp set-up as possible and then add to it as necessary. Modular has got to be a better philosophy as a starting point - anything else is just a compromise.

13. My feeling is that for them to be able to incorporate all those effects and features in the amp and still design it for a price point, they have to be scrimping in some areas that matter much more to me than effects. The review posted here confirms that the effects suck, I'd be willing to bet the whole amp sucks compared to comparably priced SWR stuff.

14. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    After all this amp bashing I'm still anxious to get my hands on one to test it for myself. Rationally I agree with you guys, but my heart is saying other things. When my store finally get's it in I will compare the Mo' Bass w/o fx to the Bass350. It should sound similar. Then I'll test the effects for sound and/or technical problems. But, like I've said before, I heard a demo and it sounded fantastic.

Could somebody PLEASE give us a more in depth review of the Mo' Bass? Preferably somebody who likes the "normal" SWR sound.

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes, that's what I meant by the "worst of both worlds" - I think you always want an amp where all the money has been spent on the tone. Then you can decide on whether you want efects or not and choose only the ones that you know you are going to use.