1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Story of My Own Customized Bass (no pics yet)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deremus, May 15, 2011.

1. Deremus

Deremus

May 9, 2011
    Well basically I bought a ****** squire jazz bass of my friend who is a drummer now. This was my primary bass as I had recently made the heavenly switch from the guitar to the bass. Later on I got an Ibanez BTB 5 string. While I left the Squire sitting in the basement collecting dust, I was out playing this beautiful 5 string, but, I always had that four string at the back of my mind.

One day I got kicked out of class (I'm in grade 9) for drawing what I'm trying to get as a perfect bass. While sitting in the office awaiting my punishment I had an amazing idea come to mind, why not just use the ****** J Bass and make it into a brand new monster? Well obviously not learning my lesson from 5 minutes ago I started drawing out my new plans for the perfect bass.

As a guitarist I always loved the Fender Telecaster (If you don't know what it looks like, it is basically a strat style with the left horn cut off) but to my dismay, I couldn't find a bass with the same body style as it. So what I drew out was a jazz bass with the left horn cut off.

When I got home I got right to work. Taking off the neck, then sawing the body. Once my dad came home and saw me using his tools he wanted to help out, so he made it more curved.

My initial plan was to repaint the body and put the pickgaurd and all that stuff on. Well after seeing the black jazz bass without it's pickgaurd on I decided to keep it black and fill in the holes left by screws. I put the cover back for the hardware back on and had another awesome idea come to mind. Defret the neck.

Well I came across an amazing site called Talkbass.com that taught me how to defret without damaging the neck at all. After I had done that I felt that the job wasn't done. See I'm a huge fan of Primus and Les Claypool. I went down to the local music store and bought a Kahler Tremolo system for only $25.

When I got home I was so excited to put the Tremolo system in that I accidentally hit the head of the bass on the wall with an enormous amount of power. It destroyed one of the tuning knobs. So I marched back down to the music store and bought a whole new set of locking nuts.

Well I was so excited to go home I forgot to pick up fretless bass strings. The next day I went down to the store to get some but of course, they HAVE to be ordered in. Since I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere I will probably have to wait a week until I can play the hell out of that bass. And that is the story... So far.

So what are your stories of customized basses?

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    "Fretless bass strings," meaning flatwounds Im guessing? Put some epoxy or super glu on the fretboard and rock the roundwounds!

I wanna see this beast.