My Story, Sad But True

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BurnOut, May 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Two months ago I was asked to sub for a pretty big band in town. I felt this was a good chance to be seen by a newer bigger audience, some advertising for me.
    It's an all original band, couple covers. Communication from the BL has been poor, no set list, told to look at their YouTube. I kept questions to a minimum, but when I had one it was like pulling teeth for an answer. With things going like that I just learned the songs, and didn't ask any more questions.
    As the gig approached, no one mentioned anything about a rehearsal, or anything else. I kept at the songs, nervous about going from studio tracks to live without some kind of rehearsal.
    The show was today, I've really been cramming hard the last two weeks getting my end down. Still zero communication about the show. With the replies I got when I asked, I didn't want to go through the hassles of sounding like I was bothering the BL.
    I picked up my rig from the rehearsal area last night, staged my gear to grab and go. I knew we were the headliner so we'd be going on late. After tossing and turning last night, nervous this morning, and no word about the show details. I called the BL to ask when we go on.
    His reply...Oh our bass player is here, you can come up and play though, sorry.
    I'm fairly new on bass, not really a sub kinda player, but I buckled down and learned their songs. I was pretty nervous about no rehearsals and playing cold.
    Feeling relieved I'm saved from a potential train wreck, anger for time lost will set in later. His band owes me some spots on their bills at least for compensation. I think we'll play a few of their popular songs in our set to say thanks.
    My Story.
    Peace N Chicken Grease

2. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Weird. *** ***** weird.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2019
  3. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    Sounds like they wanted too keep their options open in case the guy didnt work out and they didnt want to cancel the show.

4. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    I was in communication with him, the middle of this week. Yet he still said nothing. Several FB post about me doing it were made too.....and nothing.

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  5. 4SG

4SG

Mar 6, 2014
    BowedEqualGuineafowl-size_restricted.gif

6. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
  7. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    @Son of Wobble please console my beaten spirit, as only you can do.

8. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    LTW-2015-09-11-2.jpg

Leo Smith, NJRG, GreyEagle and 48 others like this.
  9. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Thanks Brother Wobble, you always know the right thing to say, at the right time. I feel so much better now or maybe it's the 3 xanax I took after the phone call.

jackn1202, Davbassdude, MCF and 11 others like this.
  10. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I think you should take the wife and and yer axe and your shoe phone down to the club, and take the BL up on the offer to sit in.

Have Mrs. Burnout operate the Shoe Cam and record your guest spot. Make sure BL gives you a full blown intro befitting yer status.

Post the video in this thread.

CORRECTION: I wrote the above before realizing you are heavily medicated. My amended advice is to have a few drinks and a few more pills and play the whole set. Just plug into the the second channel of the bassist's SVT VR. He won't mind, he's your friend. So are MIDS, crank them to cut through, good luck!

BluesOnBass, GreyEagle, TomB and 29 others like this.
  11. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Mrs Out isn't really much the social butterfly. I should go and do my Suzanne Vega Medley at least though.

Actually Mint Juleps at the neighbors is my backup plan.

12. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Your plan is a bold one.

Meanwhile, here's something to chase the pizza.

maxresdefault.jpg

13. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    ...Finally, here's a horse-strength antacid I use to cap such gustatory revels.

10684_bucket.jpg

14. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Thanks Wobble, You Sure Are A Swell Guy!

15. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Sorry to hear, though it does sound like you dodged a bullet. Subbing cold isn't always fun.

16. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    I was gonna have a salad for supper... guess that's out.

Seems in some way you were used... one day you'll hear the whole story, and you'll be glad you "dodged the bullet".

Of course that's probably what Stuart Sutcliffe tells himself too.

17. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Yes, I was feeling like I was being setup for failure the last few weeks.

18. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Right. I've pulled a few sub gigs like that, though they went mostly good. I would study the band's original albums and come to find new intros, outros, keys, transitions... it's no fun, because then everyone who isn't the BL thinks "man, did this guy pay attention to what he was studying?", while the BL is thinking "crap, I forgot to tell him...".

redwingxix, Beej, mikewalker and 6 others like this.
  19. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    I had asked this week about some of the songs, didn't want to but I did. Most were tuned a half step down. Four newer ones I was to learn were in standard. I know live they didn't change instruments. He said they recorded them in standard for the keyboard guy. Yet he didn't say a word about his bass player was doing the show.

mikewalker likes this.
  20. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Yes, Stu would likely console himself just as you say -- were he not DEAD

source.gif

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021