My story..

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by luisnovelo, Aug 29, 2002.

1. It was evening on Friday 23th, August 2002, a day before the first general rehearsal for the second and last season my Campus would present the musical play "Cats", and I was ready to kick bass for the 1st show, which would be on Monday 26..

So I got into my brohter's bedroom and was received with a hostile "Largate, idiota!" (get out, idiot).. So I started to make fun of my brother's attitude and bad temper.. at first he joked with me for a while until he thought it would be funnier for him If he kicked me while I was on the floor, where I had been laying since I came into his room.

As he kicked me more and more, I would only laugh and try to dodge some of his kicks until one of them hit me in my weak point..
    He kicked me in my left hand and my thumb got out of its place... It ended up near the index finger.. all twisted.. It wasn't only the pain what shocked me but the horror of seing it.
    So I put it back in its place, slapped my brother in the face as hard as I could and ran to the fridge to get some ice..

Ok.. Later a friend of mine who is director of the band took me to a hospital..
    I got my thumb plastered and the doctor told me I shouldn't move it at all until he checked it on monday, before the show, to see if I could play..
    Ok.. so I spent the weekend without moving my thumb and the doc. checked me on monday.. He said I was able to play. He put me this orthopedic thing to keep my thumb from moving.. and told me to take it off only to play.

I got to the theatre and grabbed tha band's Fender P. (we though the neck on my BTB5 would be too painful for my thumb.. but we had NO IDEA..)
    When I held the neck and played a line, my thumb bended back a little bit.. but I got scared as hell.. I felt an horrifying pain and almost fainted down.. really..
    The idea of not being able to play a gan in my life invaded my mind.. It felt horrible.. I never thought I would one day feel that way about playing bass, wich is the thing that fulfills me more and i feel more passion towards.

But well.. another bass player had learned some of the songs in case I couldn't play, but I managed to use the orthopedic "device" to play. I shaped it to protect my thumb in the position I hold tha bass, and it helped very well.. Eventhoug the back of the neck slipped many times, i handled to playwell using much more finger pressure than thumb pressure..

The 3 days of shows were great, I handled the situation just fine.. I wish I had played as I did on earlier rehearsals but shouldn't ask for more..

I went to see the doc. after the first show and says my thumb is in its right place but the sinew has not been rehabilitated since the accident.

My thumb is in rehabilitation.. I can't use it for anything and can only remove the orthopedic thing to have baths.. I'm gonna get checked by the doctor i about two weeks.. and hope my finger gets well.. I wish it gets as perfect as it was before the dislocation...

I've promise myself to play ALL the time when my thumb gets well.

If anyone has had an axperience like this with his/her fingres.. and is okay now... I would feel very happy to know..

TAKE CARE OF YOUR HANDS:: all of you. they are an invaluable treasure.

BTW.. I hope I can gte some pictures of the show..

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    que pena escuchar eso Luis :(

lo bueno es que al final pudiste tocar en el evento :)

LAS MANOS SON MUY IMPORTANTES!! yo todavia no me he encontrado en una posicion similar a la tuya pero es mejor que ya dejes de pelear con tu hermano o se va a repetir de nuevo esto.

ah, y ahi te encargo las fotos!! :D

3. superfreak

superfreak Unregistered

Aug 18, 2002
    Clarksville, TN
    No affense...but could we have that in english?:D
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey, hey, hey. break it up, get a room. :mad: :D.

just kidding.

what did you say? :(

and luis, good luck with your thumb, i hope it heals soon.
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i just saw this - this is actually a very good thing. you don't want to use your thumb to squeeze pressure on the neck anyway - it's better to use your fingers countered with your arm and back - your arm is able to pull back with much more strength (and thus help your fingers fret the note) than your thumb can. squeezing with your thumb just contributes to hand fatigue.

so there, you may have a good, constructive experience out of this, eh? ;)
  6. Of course.. I couldn't move over the neck too quick but could play the entire show without really using my thumb at all.. [​IMG]

Thanks for replying guys, and David, I just saw the pics my brother took.. and I didn't appear in any of those.. I hope some of the photographers catched
    the band but don't really think they put too much attention to us while they had 50 dancers-singers (inc. HOT chicks dressed like kitties) in front of them..
  7. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Wow sorry to hear about your accident.. but at least you got to play..

Hope your thumb heals up nicely.. ;)
  8. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Well, about five years ago, I had the top thrid of my ring finger on my right hand ripped off, so no three finger picking for me :D, and they graphed skin from my middle finger, so it can't move as fast as it did before my accident. What happened? Well, I used to ride dirtbikes alot (still do, just not as much), and one day, while trail riding, I knew this trail, so I went faster than usual. Big f-ing mistake. Hit a huge ass rock (Prolly weighed about 100lbs ish) So the front end of my bike kicked up, flipped over, and how about it I jumped off. Whew, no injuries. So, I go to life my bike up, did that, leaned it aginst a tree until I wasn't dizzy anymore...the next thing I know, the bike starts falling, so only by natura reaction, I grabbed it, (It WAS brand newish). But of course, a little 140lb guy like me (prolly less back then!) trying to keep a 300+lb bike from falling, well, you do the math and figure out that it doesn't work. When it fell, it hit on the handle bars, and the front brake lever squeezed the whole way aginst the handle bar, where my finger was, when it squeezed in, it ripped off that chunk of skin...deep ass hole clear down to the bone too! I was scared, but had to get home still! So I had to ride about 2/2.5 miles home and run into the house to get someone to take me to the hospital....but yeah, that was my expirence, anyone want pics of the aftermath? :D lol
  9. GDJ

Jun 15, 2002
    i dislocated my thumb once. it completely dissapeared. the doctors had to cut me up to put it back in place. i had a cast for a few weeks so i know how you feel. getting the cast off was the worst part tho...i thought the quack was gonna cut my hand off. it feels great once you can play bass again...dont loose hope and never stop playing bass.
  10. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Haha yep, that's us
  11. Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    eso es una jodienda, digo, thats a mess.......

ojala que no te tengan que operar, con el tiempo podria empeorar y ser peor......

ten cuidado y suerte
  12. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    hey plucky, in what part of Spain are you?
  13. Damn, BasSR205DX and GDJ.. There's no doubt both your cases were much worst than mine.. I feel really glad to read that both of you can play and, as it seems, be satisfied with your playing.. Honestly having read your posts, especially yours, GDJ, really put me on 'cause I had been very worried about the possibility of not being able to play like before..

thanx guys..
  14. Avril

Aug 23, 2002
    i had a not so similar experience ;). about 2 weeks before i started playing bass i disclocated my pinky. It was that bad so i was lazy and didnt get it check. I just kept pressuring it to be straight. after it healed my pinky still stays straight unless i pressure it to go down =\. whenever i play the bass now my pinky kinda sticks out unless i try to make it not do that but its kinda hard to concentrate on that and play since me = newbass play
  15. So, what's the latest word on your thumb?
  16. Plucky

Jun 18, 2002

madrid, in a suburb near town.

17. Thanks for asking.. I've been playing for a week now.. I played a bit before the doctor's last checking, and it hurt a little but i could fret some notes w/o the helpo of the apparatus.
    He told me to do some exercise with it for it was too weak after almost 15 days without moving. Now I'm practicig to play at a festival and it hurts me when I slide and play fast over the 1st frets of the lower strings.. Maybe I'll go to a rehabilitation therapy the doc. recommended me..:)
  18. Good luck. I hope all goes well and that the stiffness/pain are short lived. :)