My Strap Button came out

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Nuttboy311, Jul 27, 2002.

1. I need advice, I was in the middle of getting a lesson and my bottom strap button came clean out of the body of my bass. I need to get this back in and it needs to be sturdy. If this has happened to you, what did you do to fix it, or is there any advice out there? Also, should I just wait until I get my Dunlop Strap-Locks, but the hole is stripped, so some work has to be done. My teacher told me to use a wood match end and stick it in the hole and fill it with wood glue and let it dry and then screw it back in. Is this the best way?
  2. ive always used toothpicks with a touch of glue. use a rubber mallot and pack em in pretty tight. just make sure the glue is dry or else it will bond to the screw. then the head of the screw will break off when you try to put on straploks. the screw threads were a bitch to get out.
  3. you can do the above, or when i get a striped thread, i fill that sucker up with glue and wait for it to dry, then put that screw back in:)
  4. wait untill you get your strap locks........ the strapbuttons on my old bently were held on by a smaller diameter screw than what the strap locks have so... the screws for the straplocks made a bigger hole... so... i suggest getting yoru straplocks before you mess with the wood glue and stuff.
  5. I had the same problem, I drilled the hole to a slightly larger diameter and put a small plug in it, then reinstalled the strap button.
    Nothing can make that screw come loose now ...
  6. I buy longer screws to use. No extra-deep drilling needed. Get a screw the same diameter and go for about 1.5-2 inches long...I usually have to grind the heads down a tad to get my strap-locks to work, too. Works like a champ and never any problems...
  7. My bottem strap button came out too. What bass was it? I just stuck the button back in, connected the strap to the button, and then taped over it so it's connected to the bass with black electrical tape. It works fine for me. I never need the strap for anyhting else. And if i do need a strap, i have an extra one.
  8. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I hate having to worry about dropping my basses, so I either have straplocks or I just attach the strap permanently. I sew shut the little slit at the button-end of the strap while it is on, and I never have to worry about it.