1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My straps are TERRIBLE

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG] - NEW!' started by Broke, Apr 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Broke

Broke

Sep 9, 2015
    I've bought 3 Walker Williams straps and they have some kind of vinyl type backing which flakes off in about a year. What kind of padded strap can I buy that has leather on front and back? I can't seem to find one that suits my fitting for this. 3 inch would be perfect but open to other sizes.

2. ProfFrink

ProfFrink

Jan 16, 2015
    I'm a neoprene convert, and try to aim at the more vegan straps, but when I started I had some straps from LEvy's Leathers which had quite phenomenal quality.

MattZilla likes this.
  3. Broke

Broke

Sep 9, 2015
    Do they have leather outside and inside?

PS I do believe cows are vegan.:D

Microbass, MattZilla and ProfFrink like this.
  4. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Yes. Leather all around.

Attached Files:

ProfFrink likes this.
  5. Broke

Broke

Sep 9, 2015
    Thank you. That's exactly what I'm looking for. I'll look them up

Goatrope likes this.
  6. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    I like El Dorado Suave and Moody straps the best. Spendy but very nice.

7. Broke

Broke

Sep 9, 2015
    I'm ok with spendy as long as I don't have to change my straps once a year. Ideally I would get 3-5 years out of a strap but maybe that's being too hopeful.

8. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    I will stop short of saying you couldn't wear out one of these two brands in 5 years, but man it would be hard. I consider them lifetime straps for most people.

MattZilla likes this.
  9. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Leather is the way to longevity. Levy's is the safe bet- as is sticking with the 3" idea. My favorite strap that beats the heek outta my pair of padded 3" Levy's and my 2-layer suede 2.5" Levy's is a no-name 3" single layer leather that came to me with a '68 Country Gentleman. It conforms to my shoulder and back better than any other strap.

10. Broke

Broke

Sep 9, 2015
    I have back issues so I need it padded

11. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    I have them too. I wouldn't care about a strap conforming to my body's lumps and bulges if I didn't. Maybe my padded straps need to be broken in more... but why put myself through unnecessary irritation/pain? The extra layers and padding add up to a rather firm/stiff thing that sits hard on any high spots on me.

I doubt you'll find a thin single layer 3" strap anywhere, but if you do- it'd be worth trying out.

12. BLDavis

BLDavis Master of Snarks. Supporting Member

May 21, 2009
    Ellenboro, NC
    I believe bovines are technically vegetarians since they do consume milk when first born.( I have a friend at work who keeps me straight on that stuff). Other than juicy steaks and burgers, cows also supply us with the best material for bass straps. Good ol leather. Levy and Moody make really good straps in 3" or 4" with smooth leather or suede. They will last practically forever if cared for. And don't overlook used ones here in the classifieds.
    B.

13. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
  14. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    IM me your address, I have one of these waiting to be mailed to you. It's a different color than was described in the ad when I purchased it. So I've never used it, although it is currently set to my body size. This ad accurately represents the color; I'm gonna stick w/Franklins in the future.
    Levy's PM32 Garment Leather Padded Guitar Strap

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    S-Bigbottom and BassGuyFL like this.
  15. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    Go with the Levy's PM32 I have several and have been very happy with them.

16. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    For me the Levy's MSS2-4 is the ultimate padded strap for heavy basses. 4.5" wide, leather all around, comfortable padding with a firm backing so it doesn't feel like it's bouncing around. Mine is at least 5 years old and feels like it could go for another 15. It's kept my heavy '74 Jazz a viable gigging instrument for a little guy like me.

17. Vinyl backing on one of my Fender straps, the one that came with my MIA jazz bass, flake off...I cleaned it and remove all the remaining vinyl... so that only the cloth remains. Now it's my favourite... without the vinyl, it's not slippery at all.

It beats my 3.5" leather strap:D

20190503_225811.jpg

Last edited: May 3, 2019