My strigns are out of tune with themselves

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cantbeatbass, Dec 18, 2005.

1. cantbeatbass

Dec 16, 2005
    I looked but could not find mention of this elsewhere. When I play a string, with all the others silenced, I get the modulation in the overtones like there are two notes out of tune. I have high-end strings, but a low-end bass (dean edge if you must know) and the only thing I can think of is the pitch variation is coming from the pick ups. Is there a name for this? Can I do anything about it with tone control or tuning the strings differently, or should I look at replacing the pick ups?
  2. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    I'm pretty certain that pickups can't do anything like that.

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Sounds like your pickips are too close to the strings. Try lowering them and I'll bet you'll be OK.
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  5. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I noticed that on a couple of Fender paisley models I tried once. A warbling, vibrato effect on the higher notes. It was cured by lowering the pickup height a bit. I guess the magnetic pull on the strings was causing it.
  6. aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    it's called wolf tones. lowering the pickups will take care of it.
  7. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Is this effect increasing when you play further up the neck (closer to the bridge, I mean)?
    What strings are you using?
    Are they tapered or exposed core at the bridge?
    If so, is there a distance between the bridge saddle and where the windings are full diameter?
    ... If so, then that might be your problem. I have experienced that. Look for sound files, photos and a description here.