Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my string dilemma

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Sep 17, 2004.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Okay, so i just got my Fender "Geddy Lee" Jazz bass. It came with roundwounds. I am used to playing flatwound on my jackson. Here is the issue: I love the sound of the roundwounds, but the flatwounds are much easier on my fingers and easier on the neck of the bass. Is their a way of getting the roundwound sound while still using the flatwounds?

2. DemoEtc

DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    I tried a set of GHS nylon tape-wounds, and they're basically round-wounds with smooth nylon tape on the outside; bright but with a smooth surface. I read elsewhere on this board that most tape-wounds are like that.

Best

3. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Tapewounds or halfflats sound alot like roundwounds but fell more like flatwounds. Rotosound makes some nice halfflats (steve harris used them :D)

4. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    gentle peace,
    :hyper:
    If its the slick feel of flats you like, you might want to try Elixir coated rounds (polyweb). They are coated with Goretex material (very thin coating) and are very slick, and maintain their tone for months. Cost more to buy, have a little of the new roundwound edge taken off when new (due to the coating), but last much longer than other RWs. If you're a pick player they might fray slightly around where you pick after a while, but this doesn't affect tone.

Luckydog

5. Uh, flats put more tension on the neck than rounds do.

And stainless have less tention than nickle rounds.

So... yeah.