1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My string saga continues....ever changing gauges..

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Thumpinshelton, Feb 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. so, I have posted on my string adventures before and just want to laugh at myself for little bit! Over the past several months I have experimented with all types of strings and gauges and from many manufacturers. I have been from super light (40-90 w/ .110 B strings) to medium/lights to mediums and then back to lights and all over the place! So, last night I decided to sit down and look at my purchase history for strings over the last 3 months. The grand total spent on strings is $563.93 (for only the last 3 months in just strings!!!!!). It is crazy how fast things add up and the sad part is some sets only got about a day of play time at the most.

So, as I write this I am looking at my basses I just re-strung last night back to a set and gauge I played for many many years.... Daddario EXL170's w/ a .125 B string.

I have a string addiction......hahaha

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Damn... that's more than I have spent on basses in the last three months. That is probably about what I spend annually on strings...

Have you found out what you prefer yet? Also, what do you do with all the old strings?

3. It's funny but the strings I used in the past D'addario EXL170 4 string set 45-100 and a single .125 B string seems to just "work" for my overall taste and feel. So, I think I am going to just call off the search and stick with these for a while.

As far as my old strings I usually keep them together as sets and store them in a big box. However, I just learned that D'addario has a recycling program and will be taking advantage of that going forward.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  4. bassyogi

bassyogi

Jul 23, 2012
    Sardis Ohio
    Took me a long time, but I finally found my favorite gauge: 40 60 80 100 130. DR has a custom set of Hi beams and also Sun beams available in that gauge. I really tried to like Dunlop superbrights. They are great strings but the DR just has something going on that I can't get out of the Dunlops.

5. You should be able to sell sets as long as they aren't worn out and fairly new. You can get back a good chunk of the cash you spent!

shawshank72 likes this.
  6. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    This^
    Took me awhile to find mine as well.
    Flats in 50\65\85\110
    I cant play unbalanced strings anymore and i cant go light.

7. Can someone give me an example of an unbalanced string set? I'm not too sure what this means.

8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The A and especially the D generally have higher tension than the E and G on most standard sets.

9. Unbalanced vs. Balanced (Pay attention to the tension numbers.)

10. Now i get it ... thanks.