Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My string story

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by greg garrison, Apr 13, 2005.

1. greg garrison

greg garrison

Apr 12, 2005
    Colorado
    i'm new here, have been checking out the string forum for a bit- needed to buy new strings, couldn't figure out what to do. Strings I have on my bass now are about 8 yr. old Spriocore Orch, with D'Addario Orch G. Have been playing Spiros for a long time.
    I've tried D'Addario full sets, didn't love them. Pizzicatos bow better than Hybrids, go figure. Tried Pirastro Jazzers awhile back, sold them but don't remember why- guess I didn't love them. Used Spiro E & A with Oliv D & G, wasn't right for me. Read about and almost bought Obligatos, but too many horror stories. Just ordered a new set of Spiro Orch from Quinn Violins after much deliberation. Sometimes you just have to go with what works, I guess. That's my story, I'm sticking to it.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
  3. Welcome indeed. There is talk that the new Spiros are slightly reformulated, or perhaps had subtle refinements in the production process. In any case, the new strings should have some more life in them than the 8-year olds, and once they settle and lose the initial twang you'll be back in the saddle!

Good Luck!

4. greg garrison

greg garrison

Apr 12, 2005
    Colorado
    had read in the forum about the reformulation- was one of the deciding factors to stay with Thomastiks. Thanks for making me feel so welcome!