1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My strings are too loose

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by shogun12, Jun 5, 2014.

1. I tried to change my strings twice. Every time my bass is tuned right but stings are too loose. One time guy at the guitar shop changed my strings. My bass it tuned very well and string werent too loose. What am I doing wrong please help me

2. CoR Bass

CoR Bass

Apr 2, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Basses, Ashdown Amplifiers, Morley Pedals
    What gauge strings are you using? Have you tried a heavier gauge? Are you using long scale strings on a short/medium scale bass?

3. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    How do you know that you are tuned, at least to Standard (i.e., E, A, D, G - low-to-high)?

There was someone on here that tuned the highest pitch string (the G-String) to E, the 2nd string (the D-String) to A, and so forth.

:eek:

4. I tuned correctly. Locations of strings one of the first thing i've learned

5. I use long scale strings on long scale bass. And its 40 60 75 95.

6. You've either purchase a very light gauge string set or you have NOT tuned correctly. There's nothing else to it.

mcnach and TonyP- like this.
  7. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Try some DR Lo-Riders

LO-RIDER™

Stainless Steel Bass Strings wound on Hexagonal Cores
    Lo-Rider stainless steel bass strings are round wound and constructed on a hexagonal core. They provide more depth of tone, and are a bit stiffer than Hi-Beams. Bass players who are into slapping, popping and tapping will love the high end and depth of Lo-Rider. The slight bit of stiffness makes Lo-Rider bass strings very accurate when playing harmonics. Great consistency and great string-to-string balance are DR hallmarks.

8. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    +1

9. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    You need heavier strings. 40-95 is a super light gauge of string. Also to be clear, the thickest string is tuned to E.

shogun12 likes this.
  10. I don't think the problem is at tuning but I am going to ask it to a tech

11. I don't think I can find it in istanbul

12. Can you link to a recording of what your open strings sound like?

lz4005 likes this.
  13. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    There's yer problem right there. When the guy at the guitar shop changed your strings, he probably used heavier gauge strings. Try 45-105. Those are probably the gauges your bass was strung with at the shop.

shogun12 likes this.
  14. what gauge do i need

15. Thanks, I'll try it

16. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    Yes, 40-95 is a light set. Go with 45-105, wich is a standard gauge.
    if they are too loose, try 50-110.