1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My studio needs some growth. Need some help

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by JaneBass1, Sep 25, 2008.

1. JaneBass1

JaneBass1

Jul 23, 2008
    I have a Protools with an Mbox2

The mbox 2 has:
    - 2 analog inputs (you can use instrument or mic)
    - S/pdif, In/Out
    - 2 monitors out
    - Midi, In/out

How can I add more analog inputs?

How do I connect a mixer? And what would I need one for?

(My main problem) What do I need additional, to track drums first?

2. deathbyjune

deathbyjune

May 19, 2008
    New Jersey
    Since the Mbox2 only records 2 analog inputs at a time, your only option to track drums with more than 2 mics would be to get a mixer. You probably don't need more than an 8 channel mixer.

Connect all the mics from the drums into the mixer. Connect the output of the mixer into the inputs of the Mbox (left/right).

This will give you a stereo (2-channel) mix of whats coming out of your mixer. Sooooo, you need to get the drum mix perfect through the mixer before recording.

3. deathbyjune

deathbyjune

May 19, 2008
    New Jersey
    The only way to get more analog inputs recording separately and simultaneously is to upgrade your interface. I recommend the Presonus FP10- 8 analog inputs AND outputs, s/pdif i/o, monitor out, headphone out... this would basically replace your Mbox.

Interestingly enough, the FP10 goes for $50 LESS than the Mbox2 bundle. Draw your own conclusions...

If the FP10 doesn't tickle your fancy, a million other 8-channel firewire interfaces exist now. http://www.sweetwater.com/c683--FireWire_Audio_Interfaces

4. JaneBass1

JaneBass1

Jul 23, 2008
    thanks,

i think maybe i will go with the mixer. Can you recommend something new or used and whats usually their "market" value.

When you said into the inputs of the Mbox, to which do you refer to:
    - Input1 and 2 (analog) DI or Line or Mic? or
    - S/PDIF

I never used a mixer, but I am pretty sure is not rocket science. I got so far already.

Does the mixer need to be Alt 3/4 or something like that I read?

Can I connect more than 1 headphone to the mixer?

Last dumb question...what would be the configuration with Protools?