Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My stupid friend.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by frankencow150, Mar 15, 2002.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Well,I have a friend named Robert.He thinks he knows everything.Well about three months ago I was considering buying a new bass(fender mim jazz),and robert wanted to buy my bass(suier p+j).I was gonna give him the bass,a strap,new strings,a stand,and teach him everything i know for $150.I thought this was a very good deal.He decided he didnt wanna buy it anymore,so I just didnt buy another bass.Last night i was talking to him and he said "dude,you were so gonna rip me off!" and i said that was a really good deal.Then he started saying that his mom's friend owns a shop that would 'hook him up' with a *new* $600 stingray.Can you believe it?He's such an idiot,i can tell he just wants to play to get chicks.He always tries to act likes he knows everything.He also said he could get any he wanted ibanez for $180.Anybody else know anyone like this?He tried to act like he knew more about bass than me,and he doesnt even play!

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I know people like that. They think just because they know people in the industry they are automatically a good musician, they can get top quility brands at bottom prices, and even worse, they think that just because some brand is popular and famous people use them, that is a good bass. People like this really get on my bad side and really make me wanna...yeah...become VIOLENT!:p

3. I swear, da monkey made me dood it... :D

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I know people who post music-related stuff in Off Topic. Crazy world, huh?

:D :D :D

5. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    i thought it was more off topic because it was more about my friend.I still cant get over the fact that he says he can find stingrays new for $600.He also told me that the older it is,the less its worth.I tried to explain him that the ones made in the 70's are more expensive because the wood has aged and the tone becomes better,and there thought of as a vintage bass or collectors item.he wasnt believing it.
    :rolleyes:

6. Friends are so stupid, I'm glad I don't have any................*sniff*

But yeah, I know people sorta like that. People who will just pick up my bass when girls are around and just be like "Ohhhhh, yes, well. I know a few things on this." and then do something really really bad. I always grab my baby away from them before they too any serious damage. Poor girl...it must have been terrible for her, she was meant to make beautiful music, to elevate people's soul, to open people's minds!!! (not bad for $150) :D

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, tell him to get as many GENUINE Stingrays he can at $600, and I'll pay him a whopping $750 for each and every one. Only make sure they don't say "OLP" on the headstock, which they probably do. I can get those for about $250.

8. I've been wondering, what are those OLP things, anyway? They have a handful of those in Tom Lee's now, and only about 3 or 4 that actually say "MusicMan Stingray" on the headstock...which, incidentally, cost a whole lot more than those OLP thingies.

9. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    OLP: Official Liscenced Product (I think thats what it is)

Well anywho, its like the poorman's Stingray.

10. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    Sounds like this guy needs a good roundhouse to the nads.

11. I have a friend who is related to the owner of one of the big huge local music stores, and he tells me about all these great deals he get me, because his Uncle is the owner. Everytime we go in there, I go, ok this is what I want, go get your uncle. His response has always been, "Well I dont want to interrupt him" or "I know he isnt even here today" Never once has he helped me "cash in" on this great deal with his uncle :rolleyes:

P.S. This is also the same guy who thought that after playing drums for a month, that he was good enough for us to drop our drummer and pick him up. Needless to say it has been about eight months since he picked up drums, and he still cant play great, at least that I can tell.