1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My stupid wireless can crawl in a hole and die.

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Noshtero, Sep 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Noshtero

Noshtero Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    So mad.

I've given this wireless like 5 chances and been screwed every time. Then I frantically get a cable going and miss the first song. It works in sound check, and then takes a crap when we actually play. I don't get it.

Line 6 G-30. Full signal full battery. I start playing and cut... cut. .. .cut. .. .. cut... Signal tends to dip between 2 and 3 bars but I still cut out. I taped the battery door shut thinking maybe that well known culprit was to blame, but nope.

So mad. Can't figure it out. Practice = fine. Sound check = fine. First song = crap. Only one other wireless and it's a guitar on the opposite side of the stage. They use a G10 and I lock signal first.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    Were you at different venues?

3. jcerio

jcerio Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Have you tried changing the channel on the G30? The 2.4 Ghz band is pretty busy. Not sure how the G10 and the G30 overlap. Does the soundman use wifi digital board on 2.4 Ghz band? If he's mixing from a tablet he could stomp on you. Also, the G10 could be stomping on you if you are both moving around.

4. Noshtero

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Different venues.

I've tried changing the channel a few times. It shows full signal before we all get going.

To Stumbo's point, it's different venues. The common denominator is my band. My understanding is the G10 scans for an open channel. So if I turn on first, I should "claim" the channel so that the G10 skips it.

Could something else screw with my signal? Cell phone in the pocket? Cables too close to the receiver? Amp too close to the receiver?

5. Noshtero

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Forgot.. One more wireless. A wireless Mic. I'm not sure of the brand. Maybe that is doing it.

6. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    We have 2 wireless mics.. they do NOT use the 2.4 band.
    We have THREE wireless units (2 L6, one Senn D1) that are on the 2.4 gig band.
    I use an android app (wifi analyzer) to scan both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz bands at EACH venue.
    You can see which channels are in use already and set your devices to use the least busy ones. By devices, I include the router.. if you use one.
    From the "crowded" pic below, channel 1 would be the best choice.
    Why? Because Channels 1, 6, and 11 do NOT overlap.. the rest do..
    So 8 looks pretty clean, but ch 7 and 9 users can step on it.
    NOTE: Channels 13 and 14 (part of the 2.4 gig spectrum) are NOT authorized for use in the US, but are in Europe.
    I'm not sure if there's an iOS version of this specific app.

upload_2017-9-26_13-47-46.png

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    mbelue, Beej, prue and 9 others like this.
  7. Anyone who has ever lost wifi knows how prone wireless signals are to interference. Cellular phones, wifi networks, even fluorescent lights, can interfere with wireless reception. But these are usually intermittent problems. Yours seems to be quite reliable thus far. Perhaps exchange the unit for another. If that is ineffective, try a more reliable make or model. If that fails, go back to wired.

8. Noshtero

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Ok I downloaded the WiFi Analyzer. That is just awesome.

I have a really low key benefit gig on Friday. I'll mess with it then. It will be interesting to see what happens when we start playing.

I just read something about "heterodyning" in that a cell phone with wi-fi turned off will operate on 1.8 Ghz and a wireless mic will be on 600 Mhz, which ""heterodyne" to produce interference on the 2.4 Ghz band.

mbelue likes this.
  9. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Shouldn't happen.. even in crowded bars with lotsa cell phones. Cell phones that use wireless are constantly scanning for open networks when wifi is enabled on them.
    Your 4-700Mhz bands should not get "heterodyned" with the 2.4 gig band (2400Mhz) as they are too far apart..

FWIW - I moved our router (connected to console) to the 5 Ghz band for all devices running FOH or our IEM mixes - due to frequent drops - about a year ago.. NOT been an issue since.
    We also put our L6 devices on LOW power to reduce the interference with and by others.
    However, if some "thing" has a higher than normal xmit power level - like a nearby HOT spot - it can (or will) obliterate any other 2.4 signals in the venue. Yes, I've had it happen.

10. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    Switch units with your guit player as a test. Or have the gp use a cord to start the first song.

Keep your cord handy until this is resolved.

How long have you had the unit? When did this start?

How about Replacing all the batteries in you signal chain. Trying a different bass, a different amp?

Are you standing closer to your amp at rehearsal and sound check? Do the venues use wireless mics?

Gotta be something.

design likes this.
  11. Noshtero

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I definitely have the cord handy now.

Switching with the guitar could be interesting. I may try that. We'll have to rip the boards apart a bit.

I got the unit in March. I've never had luck with it at gigs. So frustrating to have it work at practice and at home. The only thing that changes at gigs is the mic goes wireless and I THINK the guitar is playing wired at practice. I don't remember for sure about the guitar. Same amp, same bass, same board.

Signal chain is all on isolated DC.

Distance to everything starts the same.

I'm really going to look into the wireless guitar. Everything I read both here and elsewhere say the wireless mic should not be the problem.

12. FunkyD

FunkyD Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2011
    NJ, USA
    Are you using a bunch of rack-mounted gear with a single power distrubution unit?

If everything else checks out, the fact that rehearsals and sound checks are OK but performances are not is something to consider. Is it possible there's a voltage or current issue that appears when your amp is cranked?

I'm not experienced with wireless systems but I think a device that scans for a frequency and then locks into one might get wonky with unstable power.

13. Chad T

Chad T

Feb 10, 2013
    Indiana
    I have a G30 and it works fine, but not sure I would use it on a critical gig. Pros use extremely expensive wireless units for a reason. Our church is getting ready to spend $1k on just one channel of wireless for a headset mic. And that's medium price range.

14. gazzatriumph

gazzatriumph

Sep 27, 2012
    England
    I have the same system and although I don't use it all the time, the times I have used it I've never had a problem.

FronTowardEnemy and DevinWard369 like this.
  15. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    So I hear one difference is the guitar player doesn't use his wireless at rehearsal. You have to try that. Practice like you're going to play, all the way down to the gear. Otherwise you're trying things out for the first time at gigs. I bet you're colliding with the G10, even though it shouldn't do that.

I have to say, for these reasons, the fact that 2.4Ghz is so crowded, and the total latency from the digital wireless->digital preamp->digital mixer, I'm looking for a good-sounding analog wireless. I'm sort of souring on the digital wireless idea these days.

Tom

16. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    ... the G30 is well known for it's performance anxiety! (beautiful plumage...)

Robb Fesig and BEADG63 like this.
  17. nateynate

nateynate Gold Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Oxford, MS
    FWIW, I use a G50. Have an x32 Rack in a case with a router as well, and a wireless IEM. I'm usually standing very close to all of that. Rock solid. As others have said, it's not always plug and play at venues, so you'll have to spend some time checking before sound check and selecting channels.

Also note that as the venue gets more crowded, you have more phones scanning wireless and running Bluetooth, which is also in the 2.4 GHz spectrum and could contribute to the problem.

Gabbs and Gearhead17 like this.
  18. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    Its kind of a pain, but I find it best to rehearse with the same equipment that you gig with. or as close as possible..
    I'm guessing it's either the other guitar players wireless or the wireless mic. It sounds really frustrating, maybe there is a combination of channels that will work with your equipment.

19. This doesn't help your current problem with your wireless but my recommendation is to sell it and get a more reliable unit that just works with no issues.

Everybody in my band uses the Shure GLXD systems. My guitarist and myself use the GLXD16 system and our singer uses the GLXD24 microphone.

We use it at practice, big shows, little shows, always at the same time. Never had any problems in the past 8 months that we've used them.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    How clear is your line of sight between transmitter and receiver? I've found digital wirelesses are more fussy about that stuff than regular ones, especially the less expensive ones. My G70 is very reliable even when line of sight is poor, but my old X2 wirelesses had major issues.

Marley's Ghost and nateynate like this.