1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Sunn 2000s dilemma... (help)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigJohnny, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Many moons ago I sold my amp and a cab to my bass teacher for some cash and a Sunn 2000s head. I have used the Sunn in many different band situations and have always loved the tone, but... 22 years does take its toll on one's body and I just cannot lug this beast around as I was once able to.

Now I am faced with the dilemma of what to do with it. I do not want to sell it, but...

1) I live in an apartment building with multiple neighbors, so I rarely get to play it at home. If I do, it is at very low levels. :spit:

2) I'm on the second floor, so any time I bring it out to play I'm feeling it the next day until the Advil kicks in. :(

3) I am a firm believer in replacing quality with quality. My wallet has some funds in it but not enough to make a worthwhile purchase. The sale of this amp would allow me a proper replacement. :meh:

It is a very tough decision for me. So I turn to the masses at TB for some insight with what YOU would do if in this situation. I just need a little help :help: and hearing from others would be the assistance I am in need of at the moment.

Thank you all in advance for any input.

Peace
    -John

2. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Well, it's probably just my youth speaking, but I definitely wouldn't want to sell an awesome amp like that just because of it's weight. Are you in a band that has a permanent practice space you can leave it in? Is there an elevator you can bring it down in on a cart?

3. Sadly, I have to answer No to both questions.

4. Luckie

Luckie

Jan 1, 2010
    Northfield MN
    If the tone is really stellar, I'd buy a small hand truck to transport it if the weight is the main problem.

5. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    What speaker cab or cabs are you using with this wonderful beast? I'm looking to downsize as well.
    So far the MarkBass heads are the only fly weight heads that impress an old school player like me tonewise.
    I used to run an early 70's Sunn Model T heads back in the day, with a matching 2x15 cab.

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I've been there - coming up on age 60 and the ol' body just is NOT up to lugging heavy cabs and heads. My Sunn is a Coliseum-300, and I do love the sound it puts out...but it's heavy.

The solution I turned to is the new Class D amps which are very powerful and rich-sounding, but incredibly light.

My pick was a Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0; only 3.75 pounds (that's right,, under 4 pounds) 375 watts into an 8 ohm load, 600W into 4 ohms. Paired with a G-B 12T speaker, I have a 36-pound combo that will just about knock me off the stage...and with another 12T speaker (32 pounds) I can bring along, I'm loaded for bear. if you check the G-B Shuttle 9.0 and 12 threads, you'll find a lot of discussion about the increased power of those units, but you may or may not need it.

There are many comparable Class D amps including more powerful Genz-Benz models, Markbass, Orange, and even Ampeg and Peavey are in the biz. Many of these amps have tube preamps which give you a rich sound.

I have sold my Peavey BX115 (72 pounds) and my G-K 4x10 (92 pounds) cabs, and I will keep the Sunn head as a backup.

So my advice as a BTDT is to keep the Sunn as a backup, and move to QUALITY class D equipment. Auditioning equipment can be a lot of fun.

Of course, if you ask me whether I've sold the blackface Bassman amp that my parents bought in 1967, my answer is no...even though it's as heavy as the Sunnn Coliseum-300. I find it handy for practice.

7. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    Get a supporting membership and list it here, see what kind of trade offers you get.
    I would imagine there is someone who would throw some cash in to trade up from a transistor amp.

8. D.M.N.

D.M.N. (O)))) Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well, personally, I think you should sell it to me!:D

No in all seriousness, I wouldn't sel it, too precious. What about replacing it with a Sunn 200s? Or is that still too heavy? If you want to go light, I'd have to put in my vote for a Markbass head (trying looking used to see if you can get it cheaper) and a VT Pedal. That's about the best I can think of.

9. To Luckie - I thought about a hand truck, but at some point I'm still lifting the beast into and out the apartment/car.

To tumpbass1 - I presently run it through either an Eden D112XTL or a Hartke HyDrive 115. Together, they produce a beautiful sound.

To Pilgrim - Thank you for the BTDT insight. :cool:

10. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Maybe take a look at the Orange Bass Terror or a Mesa Walkabout? Less than 15lbs and can still get good breakup.

I'm looking at a Bass Terror myself so I don't have to lug my Sunn 300T everywhere. hauling a 70+ lbs amp up and down stairs is not fun.

11. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Sounds like you have your speaker cab situation sorted out fine. Don't mean to get in your business, I understand about selling off old gear to get new gear. In fact I'll be doing some of that this year. None the less, with a head like that, if it was me, I'd be more likely to keep it, just because of the vintage treasure it is, and swing a different financial strategy to buy whatever new light weight head happens to catch your fancy. Irregardless of what you decide to do, I hope you find what you're looking for.

12. If possible, I'd keep it and save up for a more portable amp. Take the portable amp as yoru regular practice/gig amp, but you'd still have the option of bringing out the Sunn for outdoor gigs or special occasions, assuming you could get a hand from a bandmate or significant other to carry one end of it for you a couple of times a year.

13. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    to me, the 2000S is one of the best bass heads of all time (even by today's standards). yes they are pretty large and heavy, but they are also getting a bit hard to find. every time that i sold one of mine, i ended up missing it too much and replaced it (and i'm 56 years old with a bad back).

i'm not so sure that now is the best time to be selling one, with the economy being what it is, however i did see one sell for $1300 on 'evilbay' last week, which is actually top dollar for one (but IMO, worth it).

14. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I'm with Johnk. Its a bad time to get rid of anything that might cause sellers remorse, and beyond that I don't see vintage Sunns getting any cheaper or any easier to find in the near future.

15. cripula

cripula

Dec 20, 2006
    Canada
    This.

Get a 5 lb Markbass or equivalent, keep the 2000S, enjoy it as a great practice amp, and maybe use it on a couple of gigs here and there.
    Ditching it is a recipe for bad seller's remorse, especially since you say you don't want to sell it!

Used LMIIs are getting REALLY cheap...

16. Thank you all for the responses, they really helped out a lot.

I'm going to wait a little and scrape some more money together for a smaller/lighter amp instead of letting my impulsiveness get the better of me.

Talk Bass is flat out the best site on the web. :bassist::hyper:

17. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I regret the day I sold my 2000s, but now a MM HD 130, 20lbs lighter than the sunn, fills its shoes very well. It lives at rehearsal hall until gig time. A good second floor walkup amp would be the carvin BX500. If at all possible, don't sell the sunn.

18. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego
    I'm 21 and I have a 2000S, it weighs more than half as much as I do.

But that doesn't ever stop me from using it at every gig haha

Heavy tone requires heavy lifting ;)

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020