Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My surgery

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bass element, Dec 23, 2004.

1. i just had some surgery preformed on me two days ago. i had two small hernias inside of me that had to be fixed. for those that dont kno, a hernia is where your body has been strained, especially around the groin area, and causes small breaks thru the underlying tissue surrounding your intestines which then causes loops of your intestines to come out. mine werent that bad, so no visible lumps or anything could b observed. so needless to say, i had a buncha old doctor guys touching on my chicken bag which was not that fun.

anyways, i feel pretty bad, the pain meds they gave me cause constipation, another one of life's precious gifts. they also filled up my insides with air so they could have better mobility moving around my organs while operating.

they said that i cant lift anything heavy or bend over too dramatically for about a month to 6 weeks. this really pissed me off cause i just began to get into a heavy cycle of weight lifting and was seeing results.
    o well, what can i do.

i have no idea why i just posted this thread. :meh:
    thanx to those that read and responded to this thread encouragingly.

2. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    that sucks. maybe the heavy cycle of weight lifting is what caused the hernias in the first place? you might want to be a little careful when you do start up your regimen again.

3. Hope you have a speedy recovery...

4. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Had my umbilical hernia repair about 14 years ago today (the tear was behind my belly button thus giving me an "outty"). I remember without fondness the pain from the docs slicing through the stomach muscles. Amazing how many minor movements involve the stomach muscles. I got out of the heavy lifting of the Christmas season that year - but had to go outside in sub-zero weather to start my in-law's car. Unbearable pain.

I know what you're going through. Take it easy.

5. I am truly sorry, an I hope you get well, but that line just about gave ME a hernia.:D

Rock on
    Eric

6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    here's to a speedy recovery. i avoided the Dx and surgery a bunch of years ago, but it got close. The pain of an "almost hernia" is pretty intense, but nothing like the pain of a doc attempting to pick you up by the pubic bone with his pinky. :eek:

A doc and/or exercise saavy PT's can help you design an effective lifting program. There are plenty of powerlifters with hernias that have learned to work around them.

7. hey guys, thanx for kind responses. it made me feel better.
    and yea, it was when i started lifting weights last year that i most likely got the hernias. i just didnt kno wut i was doin back then.

i guess i have no choice but to take it easy.

once again, thanx.

Alex

8. haha glad u liked it man :D

9. Hope you have a speedy recovery and take it easy!

-Bernie

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    another helpful hint - although a bit graphic

the painkillers you are taking (no doubt opiates) will cause constipation. As you know, doing #2 with a hernia (and i assume after hernia surgery) hurts. The constipation won't help this. It's a bit awkward, but standing on the toilet seat and squatting takes almost all of the pressure off of the hernia site during defecation. Just thought you'd like to know. ;)

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    my thoughts go out to you

i have a bad back and know what it feels like not to be able to get a good heavy workout....

just be patient and get well

:)

12. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Stick with the program and do as the docs say. you'll be better in no time. feel better soon.

13. u r a god, haha. that actually really helped :D
    i'm glad u guys understand my pain haha.

i appreciate the support. i am progressively getting better.