Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MY SVT-3 DIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stephen Soto, Jun 15, 2004.

1. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    someone help? i went to turn on my svt a few minutes ago, and it didn't turn on. i unplugged the cord and switched the two cords from my compressor and the amp, and the compressor worked with both, but the amp didn't. anyone else experience this!? help! thanks!

2. mw

mw

Jul 24, 2000
    Cali
    did you check the fuse?

3. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    wait how do i do that?

4. mw

mw

Jul 24, 2000
    Cali
    unscrew the plastic cap marked fuse. check fuse to see if the microthin wire has busted. if you are in the US, replace with a T10A SLO BLO fuse. (220V uses T5A SLO BLO)

5. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    ok i checked that out. but how do i know if it's blown? it's white...

6. That would be a ceramic fuse and I guess it would have to be cracked or broken as I have never seen a blown one before. Just try putting a new one in there since the are fairly cheap and see what happens.

7. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    On the ceramic ones you'll see a brown burn mark somewhere on it, if it has indeed blown.

8. i dont know if you already know this, but the svt-3 takes a good while to warm up before you can play through it, sometimes up to 30 seconds. Is there just no power at all or is there power, but no bass coming through?

9. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Does the light come on?

If you get a power light but no sound, plug in and out of all the jacks, especially the line in/out jack, then try again.

If that doesn't do it, probably technician time.

If no light, then fuse is likely. And NO the ceramic fuses rarely show any sign of having blown, other than being electrically "open" and not working. I have never seen any "burn mark" on one. I know, because some of my bench equipment uses them, and I have to use an ohmmeter to positively identify bad ones (if there is more than one possibility).

Go ahead and try another fuse of same type, once.

If it keeps working, congratulations, you are back in biz.

If not, and it blows fuse again quickly, or it still won't work, it is technician time, something is evidently wrong and the fuse is protecting against more damage.

If it works for a while, and blows the fuse later, like when it is heated up, there still could be a problem worth taking it in for. If you are under warranty still, for sure take it in, it won't cost you anything to fix it. Tell them what you had happen (could be a bias issue).

10. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    well no light comes on... and theres no music place close to hear that would even be able to fix anything like this. what should i do :bawl:!?

11. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Your still in your warranty time, I'd say get it to Ampeg.

12. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    try an dreplace the fuse first and foremost. no point in sending the amp to ampeg for them to put a new fuse in.