Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Swedish Souvenir

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AndyGL, Sep 2, 2003.

1. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    I just returned from a vacation in Sweden and picked up a souvenir. A mid 60's Hagstrom bass...2 pickups, white and near mint. Says Hagstrom 1 on the headstock. Original case too. Turns out the guy who owned the music store found it in Chicago when he was on vacation in the US and brought it back to Sweden. Go figure! Anyone out there know how I can date this baby more accurately. The serial number is 670491
    Thanks, Andy

2. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    hey, can you post a pic of it? my guitarist just got a sweet Hagstrom - II white with black guard, and 2 single coils.

3. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    I believe the Hagstrom 2 could be the guitar version of the Hag 1 bass. I saw them in Sweden too. Do you know what year his is? Mine has a black guard too and some crazy gold textured material between the two black pickups. I'd love to get a picture up for you but it might take a while as I need to find my digital camera. I let my daughter use it and that was the last I saw it. Kids! Buy the way, this thing plays great and has a real wide variety of tones from very bright to very muted. It's also fun to play the short scale. Cool beans!

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Congrats on the cool old bass, and hope you had a nice vacation!
    My Hagstrom is SN 700006, and we believe it to be a '68. Hope this helps a little. Post pics!

5. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    Is it also a Hagstrom 1? Mine has 4 switches and a volumn knob with 2 pickups and an all plastic top with a naugahide type material stretched on the back?

6. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    So where in Sweden were you? Had a good time? ;)

7. AndyGL

AndyGL

Nov 20, 2000
    Wellsville, NY
    Had a great time. Flew to Stockholm from Paris, Took a cab to Balando marina then rented a 40 foot sailboat and set off to sail the Swedish archipelago of 24,000 islands. Sailed over to Gotland and visited some of my wife’s long lost relative living in Faro. Spent two more weeks just cruising around and anchoring in small seaside villages and desolate coves. The boat had a state of the art computer navigation system which made it easier to keep off the rocks hidden below the surface. You got a lot of rocks out there! When I returned to Stockhom for a few days visit, I could not resist the urge to search for an old Hagstrom. Always wanted one. Went to five or so music stores ( left the wife and kids to fend for themselves at Skansen park) and there she was hanging on the wall. Put down the Euros and walked back to my hotel a happy camper. I’m back in the good old USA and can’t wait to get her out on a gig this weekend.

A.

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Nope, mine's the 8 string like Jimi Hendrix and Noel Redding played. The Hagstrom I and II are cool, though. I'm still regreting not buying a Viking guitar about a year ago. One of the best semi-hollow bodies I've ever played.