Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My SWR Workingman's Ain't Cutting It. Need a recomendation for my next amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mark Jacobs, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Mark Jacobs

Mark Jacobs

Dec 16, 2000
    No headroom to the Workingmans series. What do you guys recommend at 350W or higher? Thinking of going with Ampeg this time around.
    Thanks

2. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    Any room in the budget to go used rack rig? that's where i went from my SWR Workingman's 15 combo. Even with using a temporary 2 - 10" speakers with horns (2 EV sx100's) feeding something around 250ish watts into each speaker made me so loud and punchy, i dropped the idea of going to 2 - 2x10's and only going to buy one and feed it good power

3. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    How much do you have to spend?

Also, what type of music do you play?

4. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I also moved on from the Workingman's Series (WM 15 combo). I bought an Eden WT-550 and the Bergantino HT-112/EX-112 combination. The difference in power and the quality of the cabinets is, shall we say, VERY obvious. This rig is easy to transport and sounds great- much warmer than the combo, which is exactly what i was seeking. I love it. :hyper:

5. MrJBass

MrJBass

Apr 3, 2000
    Massachusetts
    If you have some money to spend, I highly recommend the Gallien-Krueger stuff. the combos are ok, but if you go head and cab, they awesome. :bassist:

6. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Hartke makes some great heads at a great value.

HA4000, 400 watts, $500 new.
    HA5500, (same as the 3500, but with 500 watts), $570 new (which also comes with it's own case that has an extra 1 rack space opening).

Or you could go the seperate power amp/preamp setup which gives you many options with power and tone.

7. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    Go carvin dude. There cheap and the brand new btx stuff seems awesome. I just bought the monster btx1900 but check out their red line stuff they should be in your price range.