Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My SX Bass... need any modification? (sound clips included)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmanwho, Jun 21, 2005.

1. bassmanwho

bassmanwho

Jul 3, 2004
    http://www.cyut.edu.tw/~s9322613/sx.htm

sorry it's Chinese, but just take a look at the pics and there are also sound clips links. I just took it home yesterday and recorded after setting up the sting height and oiling the fingerboard. Everything including the strings are stock. I'm considering replacing the bridge with a badbassII, and changing strings (the stock strings really suck.. I took them off once, and the G string was "curved" with tension.) I guess it'll sound better.

So far I'm quite happy with the sound. But if some chap modification can boost the sound, why not? I think change the pots would be a good idea, but I'm not sure I can get it in the local guitarshop. Do you guys think it's a good idea changing the pots / electronics? Thank you in advance for your advice.

ps. the sound clips are recorded thorugh a Sansamp BDDI as a DI to computer sound card.

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    hmmm... .tw?

Someone else from Taiwan? :p

O well, whatever I guess...I'll give it a listen...

And I've come to the conclusion that it sounds good to my ears. Changing pots may clean it up a little bit (less noise) and you could always give the series/parallel mod a shot.

3. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Wow sounds great,the most notorius weak point is in your hands dude,practice and practice,the bass sound incredible amazing,wow for thisp rice,im thinking right now......... :eek:

4. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    pots make a lot of difference with these basses. the factory p/u's are pretty hot, just do a quick rewire.

5. bassmanwho

bassmanwho

Jul 3, 2004
    Evil robot:
    You mean I don't have to change anything and just do the rewiring? I have no problem with the pus, and pots, if necessary and available, I may consider changing them. But if just rewiring will do the job, I think I'm pretty happy to.

Funk Tune & Minger:
    Thank you for your opinion. I'll practice more. I just rushed in the house and plugged it and recorded it with excitement once I got home with the bass. And all that stuff I recorded was improvised.

6. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have changed the pickups and pots on all 3 of my SX basses. The pickups seem to make a bigger difference than the pots to my ears.

I was playing my daughter's short-scale SX J bass last night. The stock pickups sound strong enough, but the tone is not nearly as good as the replacement pickups that are on my basses (Fender, Duncan, Bartolini).

7. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    ok no problem,the bass sound right for me,

8. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    The only thing I found I didn't like in my stock pickups was the E string tone, it was pretty gutless.
    I dropped in some nice pots, and some DM model J's(tried ultra J's on it first and didn't like the vibe).
    I now have a hard rocking growl monster.

9. LeTrull

LeTrull

Jun 10, 2005
    Wow, that's what a stock SX sounds like? I knew they were quite popular around here, but jeez, I love the slap sound.

10. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I Wish I could get that sort of slap sound.

Heck, I wish I could slap...